1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to help my brother here.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kriztina, Jun 12, 2014.

1. kriztina

kriztina Bronze IL'ite

Background: My brother got married 6 years back. My SIL was 22 when she got married. She got married few months after her graduation.She wanted to start career after marriage, but my brother insisted they should have kids immediately. She was very adamant in this aspect she was hell bent on waiting for few years for kids. She started working within in 3 months she was pregnant, and my brother wanted her to go to india for delivery again it was against her wishes she resigned and went to india for delivery. She came back after 1 years plus. She got job again with great difficulty she said. My brother never supported her in this aspect. Again after 3 months into her job brother got transfer to UK. She resigned her job and followed him to new place. Now my brother says she is getting interview calls but she isn't enough prepared , she blames my brother for her sad state and also her lack of experience. I know her personally, she is very sweet natured person in front of me. But my brother is losing his peace of mind daily because of her. How can I help her or my brother here Im not able to understand. She says when I was in previous country her husband din't bother about her career but now why is he irritating her about her interview and stuffs she tells me. What can I say her ? My brother is very good husband I know him very well. He is ready to give his life for their kid. She is very close to me she tells me everything. Obviously I should support my brother. What advice can I give her ? please reply IL family.

2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

not so obvious as to why.

14 people like this.
  3. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Sorry to be rude, there is no rule you should support your brother even if he is not correct given that your SIL is closed to you. She must be expecting your support . I can see your brother's fault from beginning. Did he mention his wife about kid plan immediately after marriage and not letting SIL to do job. He must have cooperated earlier. Now since those days are passed, I'll suggest you to advise your brother to help your SIL to gain her confidence back. She needs a moral support from him. From beginning I can see you SIL was career oriented but couldn't pursue because of husband, so he needs to realize and help. It can be in any way like help her to get trained in her profession or offer help with baby so that she can concentrate on studies etc.

There is nothing wrong in supporting SIL if she is right and help her. It will help to nourish your relationship with her for long turn

PS - I am saying this based on my experience with my SIL.I do support her against my brother and I am the first person to whom she reach if she needs any support and my brother doesn't.

5 people like this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I don't really see where your brother is a "good husband". It looks like he has gotten his way until now, all through their relationship, even if he had to put up with some protesting from his wife.

I don't see why your brother is losing his piece of mind, all said and done, it does seem like he is responsible for her state now. If it is anyone that needs advice, it is your brother. Stop asking him to expect your SIL to dance to his tunes. She is not a puppet, she works when he wants her to work, she had a kid when he wants her to have a kid and she sits at home when he wants her to sit at home. Your brother seems to be a control freak!! If I were you, I would let my brother know that.

13 people like this.
  5. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Your SIL's career aspirations were always overruled and your brother never supported her in that aspect (your words).
    How does that make your brother a good husband ?

There is no rule which says you must support your brother no matter what he does. He seems to have had things his way so far. Be fair and help your sister-in-law get her career back on track. That is more important than preserving your brother's peace of mind.

6. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

Your brother is ready to give his life to their kid but how about his wife and her aspirations?
    I dont understand why you should support your brother. It appears like he wasn't giving priority to his wife's career right from the beginning and channeled their married life according to his needs and convenience. Now, he is complaing that she is not capable. Obviously anybody would lose confidence after going through such changes.
    There are two options for your
    1. Tell your SIL and brother to get some care for their child so that your SIL can learn some new skill to gain confidence. Ask your brother to encourage her more than nagging her about interviews. SIL can start some parttime, volunteer work to gain some experience.

or

2. Just be a sounding board to their vents....so that you dont extend and unwanted advises that you would regret later

2 people like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Why do you feel that? Nothing in your post supports your statement.

3 people like this.
  8. kriztina

kriztina Bronze IL'ite

But my brother say why can't she clear interviews, instead she just digs the past what my brother told or did. SIL says she is getting nervous in her interview because lack of experience. i know I should support my SIL if she is right. My brother loves kid like anything so he din'y want anything from SIL expect kid. It was his decision all the way. Recently he was trying for a job for one of our relation girl that made my SIL more angry when he din't bother about me why should he bother about this girl is her theory. She is pure at heart so she tells me everything. I don't have any issues with her.

9. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Oh wow ... first a kid when your brother wanted it, now he wants a working wife, so it's her fault if his wife cannot clear interviews due to her being out of touch.
    If he is trying to find jobs for relatives, why not do the same for his wife whose career he was instrumental in derailing ?? Your brother ought to realize that his wife is not a puppet.
    Your SIL has every right to be angry. She gave up jobs for your brother and now is being blamed for not being able to secure one !! That's shameful !!:thumbsdown

12 people like this.
  10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

So he treated her like a baby-making machine first and now that that job is done, he wants her to clear interviews and get independent. Your brother's love of kids is absolutely no justification for his expectations of his wife.

Tell him that you SIL will clear interviews when/if/how she wants. If she doesn't want her raking up the past, ask him to stop berating for not clearing interviews. I have been working for the past 7+ years, my husband has been working for the past 13+ years, and we do not clear every interview that we attend. Your brother loves kids, yes... ask him to love his wife also a little, for what she was and not what he expects her to be!

7 people like this.