1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to get things from India for Valaikaapu and Seemantham

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by thekumars9308, Jul 21, 2010.

1. thekumars9308

thekumars9308 New IL'ite

Hi all,

We are planning for Valaikaapu and Seemantham on August 22nd. Unfortunately my mom will not be able to come to the US in August itself, so we will be doing the function all by ourselves, just DH, me and a few friends, no elders. In our custom, before arranging glass bangles we put something called thanga kaapu (thin bangle like ornament made of gold), velli kaapu (thin bangle like ornament made of silver) and vepilai kaapu (made of neem leaf).

My question to you all is how to bring items for Valaikaapu like bangles, saree, dhothi, thanga kaapu, velli kaapu, aalam mokku, etc from India if no one from India is coming for the function. We thought of shipping it via cargo but not sure how much it would cost, how many days would it take to reach us and how safe is it to send gold and silver items in cargo. We have only a month left for the function. If you know of any good cargo service please let me know and also is it safe?

Or if you have some other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sowmya,
    Hope your Valaikappu went on well and you are now having a great time with your little one...Please share your experience dear.