1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to divert kids from watching T.V?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Sashmitaa, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have a six year old daughter and now she has spring break. After having breakfast she does her homework for sometimes and afterwards start to watch T.V. That too non-stop. How to divert her from this? Here in Minneapolis it is very cold now so that I cant take her outside to play. Suggestions please

with love
    Lakshmi

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Lakshmi,
    My ideas are:
    1. teach her how to knit. If you dont know how there are lots of books that you both can look at and learn together. The hand and eye co-ordination and the concentration needed will come useful to her in future. You will be surprised how addictive knitting can get. for a starter try a head band.

2. there are age appropriate weaving kits in the craft stores.

3. same goes for the beading activity.

4. Local craft stores are a good resource for hands on demos for young kids.

5. Take her on a trip to the local museums along with some of her friends.

6. Have her invite friends over for planned activities like face painting, tie die crafting etc.

As a parent I know it is hard to keep the kids busy with activities other than tv. One thing we did was not to have any cable channels. (we adults also had to sacrifice). In this way my activities were more attractive than the programs that were broadcast on regular channels. Even to date we do not subscribe to cable OR satellite channels. Only concession is to have soccer channel as a bonus for my son when his travel team advanced to the next division last year.

have fun during the spring break.....

Pushpa

3. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi Phuspha,

Thanks for your tips. Will try them.

Love
    Lakshmi

4. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Hi friends

1st thing we shd do to divert kids from watching TV is disconnect all the cable channels.
    they become more creative
    my 2 daughters were always glued to the cartoon tv. we first disconnected cable channels now they have plenty of time to read, draw, paint talking with eachother which is the most important activity these days. i too try to spend more time with them playing taking them out, they assist me in cooking, cutting vegetables, etc.

Regards

Padmavathi m

5. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,
    You can dissuade her from watching T.V. by getting her interested slowly in other activities.
    Colouring, craft or playing with her fav toys. Get her to help you at home.
    Tru to organsie inoddr get togethers with friends. For each day she does not watch T.V. give her points. Then at the end of spring break buy her a gift.
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

6. kuttimayil

kuttimayil New IL'ite

hello everyone!

The first thing I did to stop my kids from watching TV is that I almost stopped watching all serials, eventhough here life is inside the house only.

I spend time with my kids throughout the day, as my 10 year old starts reading books, my 2nd 5 yer old son started drawing. they both do their favourite hobbies enthusiastically, while I watch out that they don't get bored. I changed their attitudes by talking to them seriously. now i limited the cartoon time as whenever we go out for shopping,etc. that time they can watch TV. now my elder son started watching national geographic channel, etc. my younger one is limiting to his own choice in the cartoon channel.

i am much happy to see them growing as kind-hearted, disciplined and well mannered boys, eventhough they fight amongst themselves sometimes.

this process takes its own time.during this period, we should control ourselves with lot of other things to do.

hope my experience would be of some help to you.

uma.

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Such wonderful replies. Yes to distract is the key and nowadays theres plenty of things to do. In minneapolis you can take her tot he skating rink.

8. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

When I started this thread my daughter has no friends in our building. But now she has got so many that she finds minimum time to watch T.V. So I am not worrying about this so much. If her friends leave then again the problem starts:-( .Now her routine is going on like this. After school playing with her friends and little study. I am worrying very much how to cope up with our indian study if we happen to go back to India. Anyhow let me worry aboiut that later . She has been going to iceskating classes and Bharathanatym classes. Thanks for your suggestion.

Love
    lakshmi

9. Julia

Julia New IL'ite

Dear Sashmitaa,

I had a same problem with my son (he is 6 y.o.), he could think only about TV and computer games.
    I think the reason is that she has no friends (same for us). What have we done? We sent our son to hocckey and dance school, also he goes to English lessons, so he is very busy now and have no time to be bored. Also we made a limit of watching TV or playing computer games (only 30 minutes per day). And he can't start watching TV unless all tasks from school are done.
    And you know, it really works! But you should be strong, because first time your kid will make scandals and trying to force you to do whatever she likes...
    Good luck!