1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by kma, Feb 19, 2010.

1. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have a playgroup friend here whose daughter is 2 years older than my nearly 2 year old daughter. She keeps bullying my dd and initially her mother used to scold and beat her. I told her not to beat her . Now a days she simply turns a blind eye to this so as not to make her daughter cheap in front of others. She takes immd. offence even if I tell her daughter not to beat my dd.
    Her daughter is young I understand that, when she likes she plays and kisses my dd but when she bullies she pushes, beats, pulls her hair etc etc while my dd stands with a blank expression.

I dont know how to deal with this without hurting them though I am hurting because I feel I am failing my dd.|Pls give me some suggestions..

2. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

17 views and no replies:hiya

Some more details

Recently her grandmom was here and my friend's daughter was pushing a cycle into my dd and she simply kept quiet. I didnt say anything because they do not like if I tell anything to her and expected her to correct her. She simply ignored it. Earlier when she almost pushed my daughter into a metal rod, I got worried and told her not to push as she may fall down. Her mother's face became red because I tried to correct her dd.Since then I stopped telling anything.

But after the cycle incident, I thought that may be I should try to be more assertive. I just wanted to know whether I am overreacting or is it better to be more assertive?

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

kma - If my child is at risk of injury from another child I would definitely ask her mother to discipline (NOT beat/shout) her child. If that mom isnt willing to do that then I really wouldnt let my child play with that child anymore. I would excuse some of this pushing and shoving if they were the same age but in your case I wouldnt because while her peers could handle it your 2 yr old obviously cant.

Vanathi.

4. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much Vanathi. I am feeling much better after reading your reply. Yes I think that would be the best thing to do. :thumbsup

5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i second vanathi.
    u need to be more assertive.stop dd playing with the other child.if her mother ask u why then u can clearly say that u can't tolerate ur child being pushed or beaten.
    instead u can play with ur dd.trust me she will love it & so would u.
    pragati

6. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

Hi pragati,

Thank you very much. Even I have noticed that she enjoys playing with me. But I feel that she likes to go out and play with other kids also. Maybe she is better off playing with kids her age because at this stage, I believe , their development is very rapid and there is a gap in the activities of a 2 year old and a 4 year old.
    Though there are some more kids who are older than her, they may not be interested in playing with her as she is obviously a baby from their heightened age :mrgreen: , they also treat her very gently. The problem seems to come only from this friend's dd. I tried to be diplomatic to avoid embarassing her but that does not seem to work. Thanks once again:2thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010