1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with such ********* in laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by C00lhoney, Jun 22, 2015.

1. C00lhoney

C00lhoney New IL'ite

Mine is a love marriage, my husband was very understanding and caring before marriage but soon after marriage everything started slowly.
    MY in laws always us to call them everyday [we both are working in US before marriage and i moved to his state after marriage and we are still managing our 20months daughter here in US all alone]. I want so helpful advice in handling my in laws politely [without not breaking out to my husband] and how to gain more confidence in my husband's mind.

To reveal my in laws characters:
    Soon after our marriage,when we went to our honeymoon trip, we had big fight with our in laws as his mom wanted to talk to him everyday and he didnt call as he forgot his mom.

After that things were kind of ok, but later they started asking for kid, forced everyday during the calls.She used to give lectures of how to have sex over the phone which i hated so much as i had never spoken to my sister nor my mother anytime.

Because they forced, we planned for one,but since i was working it was kind of hectic and every now and then my FIL used to ask about the jewels that i took with me after marriage and one day he called my father saying i don't know whether your daughter is keeping jewels safely in USA and never told us anything about the jewels she carried there.Also my father went out and gave the jewels which i had given my parents to repair the strings which were loose...My father felt so bad who are almost very old and elder to in my in laws.My father went and gave them but still all these triggered so much confusion between me and my husband and i lost my baby ..had miscarriage but still my MIL used to give lecture of having baby everyday so we planned again and in another month i conceived again [even my doctor scolded why i planned so early]....every time she used to call and asked to pray for baby boy

Finally i had baby girl and now they r forcing us again but i am so fed that i dont want anymore kids....

Also for my delivery my mom was supposed to travel but last minute her trip got cancelled as she was diagnosed with cancer and with no other options my in laws traveled for delivery.

They wanted to stay for only one month as my SIL is alone back home[ Her first marriage was a failure and alone in india] and she kept calling every night and irritating them saying that no body cares for her but only her brother.

Moreover i was fine that i could manage fine with my husband who is pretty helpful during pregnancy times.
    Infact they landed in USA just a day before my delivery as we had to book tickets at the last minute as my parents couldnt travel.
    I was so tired and in fact was already 3cm dialeted a week before itself as i had to clean all the entire house, clean fridge,clean the bathrooms [was so stupid that i could have hired ppl to clean the house which i regret now].

I cooked so many dishes so they can have it for lunch when they arrived but my FIL was sarcastically commenting - oh this is how u cook food in ur place is it???
    But never bothered that am in last sem of my pregnancy and in spite cooked so many varieties,but the fact was he had the food in more than two servings:) :)

The day after they came, my husband did breakfast and gave me whereas my inlaws were both sleeping due to jet lag and so we didnt disturbed
    but when my husband woke his mom, she came out and saw i was having bf
    and so was asking my husband - why dont u have bf, go and have first da?
    When my FIL and husband went out immediately she was calling me to help with cooking and was asking where the dough for the chapathi , can u make one for me
    as i will faint without bf and have low BP.

But in fact the dough was over and so i had to make some dosa for her
    but later helped her end to end to cook lunch for them.......damm tired
    when i finished and about to take rest, my pain started and immediately in an hour
    went to hospital and my first labour in almost 7-8hours[normal delivery ,had epidural].

But my MIL was always commenting that out here is very very easy to deliver a baby, you guys are not having any pain at all...i felt so irritated but kept quite since my husband was really really helpful during my labour times , even i thank god that he and one other nurse was one of the reason i had normal delivery.

she always kept saying that i lay flat in bed and not be in inclined ones as they are all so sophisticated and are not needed and will cause problems.
    When i had problem while feeding baby she used to say hundred times to the baby
    - why ur mom doesnt feed you well...

The only thing i would appreciate is she wont talk anything in harsh tone but always says in a manner that my husband will believe it to something that will affect me or us both.She is an expert assertive speaker.

Now My sil is married[second marriage - got married last august] but is facing some problems with her in laws and my MIL and FILs always call my husband saying all the problems. She had baby boy just a month ago but in laws wants to kick her out soon to her in laws so they can come here and eat our head.

SIL's charater:
    Always she will tell me [soon after marriage - day after marriage] i must not eat pineapple as i wont be pregnant
    I must sit in the floor infront of my inlaws
    I must cut vegetables very very small
    I must wipes and wash and broom entire house [when my husband is not in home]
    I must feed food with hands and not spoons otherwise u wont share love[but now finally after she had baby ,she is asking me to buy those same spoons which i used to feed my daughter when i was back in india for vacation]

Issues with my husband:

In spite of me telling their behavior when he is not around , he never understands me or my problems.

But one thing i was at least fine was when he talked to his sister saying that she shouldn't keep troubling for which she created a scene but every relative who were there in the native house said that my husband must and can only support me.

My husband wants to talk to them everyday whatever happens...
    Even today they were pulling my legs saying that my daughter is like me - very countrybred type...

I don't want to fall into these stupid words but somehow i get irritatedand shout why why he doesn't say a word when they say anything,he usually keeps mum and never cares for any of my word and scolds that u always talk ill of them but they dont...

They play such nice games of always talking good of me everytime infront of them
    but i am not able to ...give me some ideas...infact our intimate life has also affected due to this which creates so much fear in me .i dont want to loose my life but need some help..

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Rule #1 - do NOT go and complain abt inlaws to DH. That will spoil your good relshp with him.

2 people like this.
  3. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

I agree with Ragini 100%.don't talk bad about il's to husband.

Regarding other situation's...so sorry that so much happened..miscarriage, mom diagnosed with cancer..but i am glad you had a healthy baby

All you are saying is typical characteristics of 99% of IL'S..esp MIL. Your il's don't even want to help their own daughter...so you know where you stand.

You are a grown up. Try to face these issues yourself. DO NOT expect your husband to fight for you for something he has little to no control over. He cannot be held responsible for what his parents are saying about you.

Learn to either ignore or give back with a smile. Some issues you can be firm with your husband. Like having another child. If they start that topic again..quickly give the phone to your hubby or find an excuse to put the phone down. Make sure you and your hubby are on the same page in terms of what you both want. If they want to ask you any uncomfortable questions...let your hubby take them. You don't owe them any answers or explanations on subjects that is private to you

4. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

unbelievable how much trouble inlaws can create over phone.
    Stop over doing for them.
    Learn to say no.
    Lear to be sarcastic.
    Learn to give them back in their own way.

If SIL says you should sit on floor infront of husband tell her you are not from village.These customs are practice in uneducated home.

5. Udasgirl

Udasgirl Bronze IL'ite

Very bad MIL...
    she basically wants to upset you ..no matter what and how you do it..
    why do you have to call them if they talk abt topics that you don't like..
    Instead of you talking to them seperately make it a family call (on speaker) so that you can say all goodie goodie things in the beginning and excuse urself later while hubby can handle monsters..
    As ur hubby loves you - try to keep him on your side always