1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Deal With In-laws Visiting?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by thegirlygirl, Apr 17, 2023.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Looks like the family you married into is the calculating type. Even normal nice people can become weird about money in certain situations. I had to shout at my father once when my brother’s wife was expecting their first baby. My dad started grumbling that her parents should be covering all the expenses by tradition. We had to quiet him down before my brother heard because it would have become a huge drama.
    Once you have a job make sure that you retain control over your salary. Don’t just hand everything over to your husband. Learn about accounts and investments and have your own credit cards so you start building up a credit history. When you buy a house make sure both your names are on the property. It’s okay to have separate accounts but you should think of sharing the major expenses. And you both should ideally start transitioning away from the “his” and “mine” mindset to setting a common financial pot.
    It’s nice you have parents who are willing and able to financially support you but that should be an option of last resort. Even if you’re not working you and your husband are a unit now, so he should be supporting your reasonable expenses like food, transport and clothing. You shouldn’t have to live like a paying guest.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  2. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

I am more concerned with this statement , than anything else. Rest is just side irritations. but not major. if this is not a emotional statement , and it is a big issue. Even going back to India is better , ofcourse with job.

3. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

What I mean with this statement is that since it is a new household(husband was living in a shared accommodation before this) we need time to set it up.
    Now we do have plates and I would also be buying a few other things after going back.
    Also going to India or anywhere else is not on our minds since we just started living in the present country few years back and are still making it work.
    Also to let you know India is not my country( I am an Indian by birth) hence I would never be going to India ever to settle down.
    I'll reply to your previous posts later, thanks for taking time to answer.

4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

do not worry about answering the point is not answer for every input. it is just to absorb and use to your benefit.

that is a very valuable thing you mentioned, India not being own country. it changes everything. no wonder, it also reflects in your humble nature and over working. it does not mean people from India are lazy and rude. But as i am growing up i noticed, People who are not grown in India are more conservative than who grew up.

Trust me Indian men are like babies till they are alone and need some serious life training in beginning.

plan well. point is not respond to everything .like a tweet here ( at least for me :) ).

5. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    The situations you mentioned are perfectly normal in any context. The anxieties of a new bride, who never lived in a joint family before, overwhelming in-laws, not so helping husband. All of these are not unheard of. I would say be wise and clever about it. Find a volunteer job asap. Join a certification course too that is going to be helpful in your job hunt. Also the cooking part and cleaning, decide what you can do and can’t . Discuss with husband that if you are cooking, you expect others to join in cleaning up. Everything cannot be on your head. Also some days he can take them for sight seeing or eating out. Plan your days well. Be polite and respectful to them but set up your boundaries too by not being rude. That is the basic for any healthy relationship.
    These kind of anxieties are normal ! You will manage it, don’t worry :)

thegirlygirl and lavani like this.
  6. thegirlygirl

@lavani
    No, I didn't marry for greencard or any other rights.

We both have PR and equal rights in our country. He started working immediately after landing while I took time to study for about an year, hence I am in the post work job hunting phase.

During my year of study I used to take money from my parents for personal expenses since I believed that my study should not be his problem since I decided to study even before I met him.
    Since it was also our first year of marriage all the furniture and utensils and other small things were bought with my parent's money( some strange thing suggested by his aunt over a phone call to my mom before our marriage citing some tradition reason).

Somehow this has transitioned even after the year of study is complete. I have also felt several times that it is now a situation of joblessness and one person working hence he should be bearing all my expenses since we are now one unit and my parents can't send me money after marriage.
    He is using my permanent residence as an excuse to avoid this and sometimes hints that since he did not bring me here in this country as a dependant wife he should perhaps not be paying for everything.
    I would also like to point out that I use money very wisely and he is a total spendthrift. I tell him not to spend money on unnecessary outings and trips. I force him to use public transport when i'm with him otherwise he only wants to take uber everywhere.

You are right and once I go back I will tell him to pay my phone bills and other expenses. He doesn't mind actually and otherwise he is a very nice husband.

So as I have explained above becoming a housewife is not really an option. They all expect me to work. Now whenever I ask my husband regarding anything about our future eg when shall we plan a baby, when shall we buy our own house, there is just one answer - after you find work.

You are also right about couple goals etc, when I initiate this conversation with him, he just listens without interest and tells me not to bore him. My husband is very very passive aggressive.
    Actually PILs coming right now is the problem for this very reason, we still have no couple goals and them coming may take us two step backwards. We also have not gone on our honeymoon, since he has no time at all.

Like I said in my previous posts they only think about themselves and do what they desire. They do not pay a heed to what I want and what I plan to do with my time ahead.

And yes you are also right about them seeing me through his eyes. I will definately have to work this out with him. He has the habbit of resisting any kind of work or chore including cleaning up after himself. He has to be reminded a hundred times and he calls this fighting, he tells his parents she fights with me. Last time when I was touching his father's feet while leaving India, his father told me not to fight with each other. Whatever that means!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  7. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

it is not about me right or wrong. lot of this new marriage issues. honestly a lot are new marriage stuff , sorry i am repeating.

my dh used to complain like a baby first 2 yrs. then after years, he hardly talks about me , just talks about kids to his mum. he plays dumb and acts dumb and smiles when his relatives do not think he is a smart . in secret after permenant GC, he is holding a income of above 500k , with multiple business . even i came to know after 6 months of successfull work.

but that said, now it is right time to be smart one (sorry it sounds bad in small picture) . you have to learn to manipulate (not sure if it is right word). but they said in hindi. take oil with curved finger. sweet talk and convincing DH. See the goal is building up your family for a comfortable satisfied living. stress and power play will work but with lot of struggle.

also your both extended families are important. but first you and your dh have to come to a single life goal and connect and keep boundaries of sharing everything

and back to business, what is your skill set. IT or something else. are you in USA.

thegirlygirl likes this.
  8. thegirlygirl

Thank you ladies for taking time to reply to my thread.
    I've decided to chalk out a routine for myself and stick to it which includes gyming, daily walk, driving lessons, study/job search and cooking and cleaning.
    I'll cook one full meal once a day and if needed then another meal.
    MIL may end up inviting acquaintances for dinner. She has people here from back home, her own friend's children and also a few families who are our neighbour's in India.

Swetha52003 and lavani like this.