1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Deal With In-laws Visiting?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by thegirlygirl, Apr 17, 2023.

1. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

How about when it is the 4 of us?

Cleaning up after we have our meals is part of adulting, just as it is to flush after we use the toilet. I don't think having a dependant wife is an excuse to get away from that.

Also those weekend chores are left to him to make him a little responsible. My DH is seriously no less than a child( I mean it).
    Literally every other responsibility is mine in our house, from planning any trips(if they happen at all), to looking up the google map to search for the route to the grocery store, to buying anything in the house and looking for the place to buy etc. I can list it all out actually if you want.
    And since it is just a 1BHK as you pointed out, cleaning it once a week does not break his back.

I fell sick 10 days after our wedding due to covid but he refused to cook me anything, was more than ready to order me food from restaurants around.....
    I'm the one who looked for the nearby clinic and booked a doctor online.
    He ate the meals I cooked while also maintaing 'social distance' from me i.e sleeping on the sofa in the sitting room.

We have also lost the video of our wedding for which we paid heftily just because I failed to download it. It is basically me who is responsible for every single thing in the house.

JFYI, I do all my personal expenses and the big house expenses( buying furniture), my transport, transit card and sometimes even grocery with my money. My parents send me money, i'm not totally relying on him for everything. He pays the rent and the utility

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

you have two completely diff problems
    1. Husband who is inconsiderate
    2.In laws visiting for 3 months
    Don't mix up in-laws problem with husband problem.
    Deal with husband problem after they leave.

3. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Total contrarian . and sorry if this offend. but think big.

how did you even married. from what it looks like . Love marriage. So from your description of husband. Typical desi lazy ( i am assuming you are desi). Just like most in the beginning. i had my fun in my dh starting :roflmao:

your DH is a sweet talker i see :), in wooing you , seeing the personality description after marriage .

just my points.

you MIL is like regular MIL in beginning. Everyone goes through that or atleast most. Be kind and manage your emotions. Leave home to library .

set your priorities right. If job is hard to get in that country, and you desperately want to get job. ILS visits is not good. Not because you hate or they hate. but interviewing is highly stressful and preparation too. distractions won't help. Why do you want job. Ask that. Who will support home after job. So hypothetical , you get job come home at 10. he comes at 10. you will cook , clean and he will eat and have s.x with you. Get your life goals right.

if you do not want to get job, it is fine. enjoy being homemaker , nothing wrong in it. pick what hobbies or things you like.

now living arrangements. Accept it. this is the new normal. You might have lived in 10 bedroom house, but now you are in single room after marriage. Make the best out of it. you cannot shut out family.

NOW THE BIGGEST RED Flag

your Husband. he is like a head now. His blood relatives will react based on his actions in your home.

from your description, he is a immature person. First work out on how to live together as couple in sharing responsibilities. Your ILS are not issue. A person who cannot take care of his wife when sick is not cool.
    You can live in 1 bedroom with 10 people as long as you and your husband are in same goals.

Stop worrying about ILs. Get your priorities right. Otherwise after 10 yrs after kid, you will realize and then complain about Husband.

MalStrom likes this.
  4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

lol. small issue. but looks big when view from a small view.

So after kids you fell sick, he will do the same.

not really relevant

so why did you marry then, if your parents support. little support is ok. did you marry for any citizenship or somethin you do not want to share, IT IS TOTALLY FINE. If not , work with this life ahead. if he makes $1000 and rent and utility. and you get 10$ as pocket money from Spouse where as you used to get 1000$ as pocket money from parents . Work your life with $10. this is part of growing up as a couple. and THIS IS NOT YOUR fault. aGAIN you both have to work together in making this life ahead good. Parents support and PIL support is good, more the better, but you have to be independent.

if you are not able to get job due to lot of reasons immigration, support. then why to stay abroad and suffer. Go back to india . Atleast you can get job, parents near for emotional support.

MalStrom likes this.
  5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Sorry if this feels too rude.

i also misread Arranged marriage. That changes things a bit. but not a lot. i still stand , you need work out your couple goals .

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If your husband isn’t helping you now then he isn’t going to magically start when your in-laws are here.
    If your in-laws are the traditional type and you’re not working while their ladla beta is slaving away and coming home at 10 pm then forget it. Your MIL will start seeing red if you ask your DH to clear the table in this situation.
    Deal with the in-laws visit now and work it out with your DH later. When you are both working you’ll have to figure out an equitable system for housework or outsource what neither of you want to do. It is particularly important to do this before you have kids.

lavani likes this.
  7. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

If I am in your place, I will have a talk with your dh, how to make your inlaws stay in your place a comfortable one for everybody. Ask his suggestions on over all plan, who will do what, sharing tasks as if how can you help him making his parents stay a comfortable one.

Even if you dont like this idea, spreading negativivity can lead to more problems in future. So give up your bias and prejudices and face it with an open mind.

My first question is if your parents visit, what you will do?

If your dh complains like this what will be your reaction?

All you have now is, a working h, you staying home , one bed room. You cant change that. What advice you will give. I will reply later.

No body like a spouse who blames their parents. So, your aim should be having their stay, which your can't change now, a peaceful, respectable one. Have a plan, watch, observe, treat his parents like you treat your parents, even if you will be their DIL and they will be your PILs for ever. So be practical. Try to build a cordial relationship with them. It may help your marriage.
    Rest, just watch, observe, plan accordingly, go with flow. Each time think, if they are your parents how you will respond. You never lived with them for long time, so this way you get will give idea or think like how you talknto a stranger.

If you have these negative thoughts, it will reflect in your words, body language, actions. So, be careful.

Also, have plans to spend your own me time-- go out for a walk, or find something to get out.
    When my PILs visited, I thought this way, 'they are visiting my home and its my duty to take care of them as they are my guests'. I didn't have any idea. I told my MIL to treat this home as theirs. I didn't over do anything. I asked their suggestions too. Slowly it evolved and I have a good relation with them. Understand their psychology, for them you are an outsider, they will be concerned about their son and may spend more time with him. So, give them space. Also, dont hesitate if you disagree, but learn how to convey in a respectable way. That way you will be able to define a boundary too. Learn to ignore if needed.

Let it evolve slowly. Its not easy even if your parents visit or any guest stays for 3 months. You can use it as a good opportunity to build a good relationship with them or spoil every thing.. So, handle this situation using your brain, not emotions.

Laks09, Mistt and lavani like this.
  8. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Join some courses (online/offline) and also take a gym membership or zumba class or something similar .You will be busy with these things and staying away few hrs everyday will make you feel better.Dont worry about washroom usage and all
    That's a temporary thing and not a life long compromise for you.What is important is building a cordial relationship with your inlaws.When I had to stay at a place for months due to an unavoidable situation I started watching lots of stitiching videos on YouTube and started learning that all by myself since the house where I stayed had a sewing machine LOL..how peaceful and meaningful my days were..Look for some ideas OP

thegirlygirl likes this.
  9. thegirlygirl

Thank you for your wise advice.

Yes, I will try to have this kind of a discussion with my husband regarding their stay.

My in laws visit was long pending from one year, I was not at all happy about it last year. We had just married and had the bare minimum at home, not even enough plates for 4 people to eat in twice a day! Moreover I did not want them to tag along immediately after our India trip since we needed some time together.

By the time the talks about this trip resurfaced again this year, I started looking forward to it.. Since the past one week I even got excited and was happily telling my mom about it too and what all we can do together. Then suddenly my husband on sunday night dropped a bomb that they would be staying for 3 months instead of two!
    This is the problem with these people, they always step over the line. Since that day I am not even talking to my husband and I have developed anxiety. I will keep worrying about it and even spoil my stay here with my parents.

About the situation being reverse and my parents visiting instead.

1) I will not ask my parents to visit us right now since our relationship is still at its forming stage. We first need to build our bond and then have either parties staying with us. For now where our relationship is, it will end up being a 3 versus 1 situation.

2) I will not invite them because of the same bathroom sharing scenario. I don't remember sharing a bathroom with my parents from high school onwards. Even when we visit India or go on holidays for weeks we make sure we maintain this. My parents each have a separate bathroom to themselves, though they can adjust when they visit India or any other place.

3) I will not invite them now because I do not want them just laying around in the sitting room when I cannot even provide them with a bedroom for themselves!

Regarding my husband having any concerns in this hypothetical situation.

1) I would first of all ask my husband if I can invite them and wait not just for his response but also his reaction . If I see any kind of hesitance from his end then I will end this topic there itself or perhaps ask when would be a suitable time to have them over.
    Forcefully bringing them here would strain our marital relationship and also harbour lifelong negativitiy and resentment in my husband towards my parents.
    I will give first priority to my husband's needs since it is our house and our marriage and not my parents supposedly long awaited trip around the continent!

In our marriage from the start, my needs have never been considered and only what my MIL and other in laws desire at the time has been honoured.
    Even now I feel she has extended her trip by one month just because I decided to visit my parents for 2 months. I'm visiting parents to heal from the depressions and dejection that I am facing due to job search etc.

I agree with the rest of your advice on how I should handle the situation carefully since it may either earn me a bad name in the entire clan or give me a thumbs up.
    I'm in a dilemma as to how I can achieve this without giving up my sanity and without sacrificing myself. I also have to make sure not to overdo anything which may make them visit us every year( this may happen inevitably).

10. thegirlygirl

Thank you again for your post.

Yes, I can see the situation the way you are seeing it.

From their point of view, their dear son is slogging away hard at work while I enjoy at home( I never take money from him for personal expenses and spend for major expenses at home, MIL is careful to not take any note of it and show that she knows nothing about this).
    Even during the weekends when he does his chores and they make sure they ask this during the family video calls, they all make pity faces :pensive::pensive::pensive:.

Once I have a job, I will just walk out of the house. My husband is the kind when you lend him a helping hand he will take it for granted. Now that I am currently at my parent's place he is cooking full fledge meals. When I am there he doesn't even make toasts, not even when I was sick.

It is expected of me to work, from both husband and his family. They have been patient with me for an year, now they will start goading me when they are there, to look for jobs and also to make me do all the house work.

My MIL is retired a lady. When she was working she had an army to support her, maids to clean the house, a lady to cook hot meals, creche where she would deposit my husband and BIL. Even now after she has retired, she still has retained the old staff after 8 years of retirement on the pretext of them not losing their lifelong jobs. o_O:facepalm:

So basically she is not used to any cooking from many years, neither does she realise that in the western world everybody has to chip into house work. Or morever she makes it look like she doesn't understand.