How To Deal With Fear Of Public Speech

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by madhurisatya, Jun 5, 2009.

1. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Many of us have stage fear.Here are few tips how to deal with fear of public speech

Try to be well prepared. The more experienced you are and the better you understand your topics, the fewer strain you will feel while delivering it. Perform it with your friends and family. Practice with the help of tap recorder and then pay attention for feasible changes you could make. Standing in front of a mirror performs your speech and observe your body movements and expressions. Be certain to practice aloud.

· Imagine an effective presentation.

· Dress properly. Try to wear neat dresses that suit to your performance and deliver your speech effectively. Moreover think about any physical sign you may give to your spectators that you are fearful.

· Reach your destination early to familiarize yourself with the lights, sound and any technical apparatus you will make use of.

· Calm down prior to your presentation. Drink enough water and ponder something else if you have time between getting oriented and when your viewers come, it will make your nerves calm.

· Be acquainted with the spectators. If possible, talk with your spectators as they get there. It is easier to speak to a set of your friends than a group of unfamiliar persons.

· Take breaths! You will experience very less nervous while your brain receives oxygen. Try to breathe deeply before you start. Also you can take deep breath at the ending of every sentence. For lengthy sentences, take breaths at the end of every phrase.

· Tell a funny story. Prepare it prior to your speech. Laughter always helps to decrease strain and tension.

· Make use of gesticulation and strong volume. It will help you to give the feeling of confidence.
    · Discontinue if you miss your place or get baffled. Breathe deeply and take a sip of water. If your brain has not cleared, start someplace in your remarks that seems about right. It is acceptable at any point in the speech to put break and gather your ideas.

Courtesy:Mail

2. lakshmi1945

lakshmi1945 Silver IL'ite

I too have this fear of public speaking. Once when I was preparing for my B.Ed exam I had to speak extempore on a topic for five minutes. I had prepared well but as soon as I stood before the examiners my tongue refused to move. As I had scored fairly well in my written papers the examiners asked me what was wrong with me.
    I blurted out,"Sir I feel scared to speak before you."
    He immediately asked me what I would do with the students.
    I replied that with the students I did not feel anything.
    His reply opened my eyes and did away with my fear for ever.
    He said,"Oh! you mean to say you can say any nonsense with the students."
    I have been a fairly Ok speaker since then.
    Lakshmi

3. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Do you have stage fear.How did you over come it??

Hello Ladies,

The professions in this modern world demands giving presentations, conduction meetings and many other activities.Stage fear is one thing, where we know everything about what we have to speak or present on the stage,once we reach the stage, everthing will be up and down.Overcoming stage fear is very important.

Coming to me, its a big story.When i was in Xth standard, i was one of the member of singing group for a school function.I suddenly stopped in between the song and went back stage due to the fear.After that as years are passing on, came to know about personality development classes, improved a bit.This fear did not leave in my PG also.There was Group Discusson in my campus interview, i din't speak much in that due to some language problem and fear.

After that i started analysing my faults.From there on whenever i have to give a presentation, i will prepare well before hand and always used to keep my content short and sweet.Never ever keep eye contact directly on audience.In this way i overcome some of my stage fear.Still need to work on it....

So ladies, you also have any such fear, how did you over come it.Please share here.