1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with an adamant child !?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by outofthebox, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Shanvy i have a 4 yr old with the same attitude thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  2. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

yeah,she always uses these words like sorry,i'll listen to you,i will not cry,i don't make mess,etc,etc.........

2 people like this.
  3. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanvy....I have an update on what happened today, and I am so glad to see an inch of an improvement!!!

This advice of yours really appealed to me the most as I never tried it....and as I mentioned, I told her this in the way which would suit her the best...and I tried to tell this today after she came home from school...and listened to her words, and in her own way, asked her to take a quick nap before she can go to class...its a different thing that she did not sleep...but i chose that time to tell her this.....and you know what ? i just started telling her that...."when i was a kid, even I used to make tantrums like you, but..." and even before I could complete the sentence...she was telling me..."amma, paati unna oru dadavai adichirukale" (grandma has beaten you once right?)...i was like quiet for almost 30 seconds before i could react...because i never told her this!! then i came back to my senses and asked her..."who told you this"...and she was feeling so proud that she knew something which i never told her...as if she found some secret....so i took this chance and conveyed what I had to that I never used to throw tantrums after that, and was a good child...!!! ;-);-);-)she was listening patiently to all that...and whatever i had to tell, i told her without overdoing...

and as I expected...she did some drama in the evening in the market....but the intensity was less, when I reminded her of what we spoke in the afternoon!!!

at that moment, believe me, all your words came to my mind...and seriously even while talking to her, i kept reminding myself on whatever you wrote this morning....and IT WORKED...:banana:banana:bananaeven though I saw a little improvement...I am so very glad Shanvy!!! :) of course, i am going to deal with this one at a time, so that I can see small strokes of improvement...after all, she is a small kid ...and has lots of scope to be moulded just like the clay!! So, I wanted to take the next best opportunity to thank you for your valuable suggestion :) :)

2 people like this.
  4. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

There is a show called "Super Nanny" ... check it out on youtube... they do show some tips on how to handle kids and tantrums....hope it helps..

2 people like this.
  5. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rise,

Super Nanny is something new to me ! I will check out the videos, but in the meantime I just googled, and found this article on super nanny website...I thought it was relevant to this kind of a problem...and most of the advices already given here are also in this ...!

Parenting Advice - 9 ways to make them LISTEN!

To the Mod - I hope its ok to share these kind of external links related to parenting.....

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Outofthebox
    Very good link...Thanks for sharing

PS: Ofcourse it is allowed as it is not promotional website nor is it your blog...

1 person likes this.
  7. Sanchita22

Sanchita22 Silver IL'ite

Hi Outofthebox!
    This is a phase and it will pass away.
    Make sure that she has enough sleep. Some kids need more sleep compared to others and when they don't get the required amount of sleep they get get irritated. Praise her when she does some good work and give her more love and time.
    When you are going to bed with her, tell her some imaginary story of a girl with tantrums, but tell the story in a way that she will never know that you have created it. Tell her after some days no one loved her, she had no friends to play with and she was very sorry for this. I tell my daughter these type of stories created by me and it works. You also try this. Repeat the story after 15-20 days, so that she will remember how to behave.

1 person likes this.
  8. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanti...

You have given very nice tips to track back a child to normal...I am following some of them like giving hug, kept quiet for while until my DS calm down...still some to implement as you said..

Dear outofthebox great going dear...keep updating with us and link is very informative thanks for sharing

1 person likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

So happy for you outofthebox, i can really feel your happiness, at being able to break the puzzle. most of what i write, is either i have experienced them or have seen it happening around me.. i am not much into parenting books.. i feel life is the best teacher..because, when i was left with a special son , i did not even realise there were websites ofcourse internet was a baby to the public, neither did i know of support groups.. i fell and rose along with the kids.. so just sharing them here..sometimes it works like magic for other moms, too and it is just that we need to take what works with our kids, because we are the best judge...

3 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sravani, just ask your son when he is playful, after the tantrum, why he had that, and you will be amazed at his answer..but beware never ask about it after a few days.. we would like them to forget it and move forward..

and as i said earlier, all of us kind of understand our kids, only when we are at a confused state about whether what we are doing is the right thing that we come out to find out right??

3 people like this.