Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ArunaSashi, Jul 19, 2013.
He sleeps at 12 or later daily.. Want to make it atleast 10PM latest..
Hi meru ala lifestyle lead chastharo vallu ala alvatbadtaru.at 9.00 u switch off ur lights and go for sleep along with them.later on when they slept u can do ur work
Aruna, 12 sure is late. lets see what could be going wrong.
1. At what time does she take an afternoon nap? At that age, kids more than likely are transitioned from two naps a day to one nap a day. Normally its post lunch for 2 hours. They have to be up by 3 or 4 PM maximum.
2. I am guessing she is waking up late in the morning if she is sleeping so late? If yes, you can keep her up until 1:30 PM and then put her for a nap. No matter what, dont let her sleep after 4.
3. Normally lots of playing gets them tired. After waking up and having a small snack, you can perhaps take her to the park?
4. I normally bathe my child at nights. After dinner, he can play for a bit, give him a nice long bath, apply some moisturizer and see if he is interested in reading a book with you or anything which he likes.
5. He can have a glass of warm milk or a snack and then he is ready for bed.
6. At this age, they need at least 6-7 hours of gap between nap and sleep. For him to sleep by 9, aim not to allow him to nap after 3 PM.
Hope this hepls. Oh, its going to be very hard for the first few days but he will get the hang of it. Its better you train him now because later when he joins preschool, it will be hard if he sleeps at 12.
oh god mine also had same problem, its hard to take running kid after work, workout. thanks for the tips Rakhi I am going to try that.
but mine is only 16 months old.. then I guess same rules goes for him too???
Yes, You can follow the same. i followed the same since she is 10 months old , mine sleeps at 10 max.Breeze, my DD is also 16 months old.
Initially, they revolt back with your attempts of putting them to sleep.but then you should not give up.Divert them and complete your task.
Chala baga chepperu.
Trans: Well said.
sure i will try it.
in addition to what Rakhii has already said, here is my suggestion. For the next month, make getting a routine done your priority. If it means not cooking and ordering in or not tidying up or whatever, make sure bedtime is your foremost priority - even on weekends. Since he is two and half, I expect it will take at least that long for this to work. Make a plan and get everyone at home to commit to it. Please convince your family that kids need 12 hours of undisturbed sleep for their brain to develop to its fullest potential.
I suggest that you set 8 as his bedtime. Which means you'll have to start a routine around 7:30. Which means he should ideally have finished dinner around 6:30 latest. After dinner make sure you are all calm at home and the tv is off. Make sure there is a bit of quiet around the house and then play a quiet game or something till 7:15. Then start Telling him it is time for his toys to go to sleep. Make him put them to bed. Before you take him to the bedroom make sure only the dim lights are on. Get him to brush his teeth, take a shower, change into special night clothes. Read him a book - preferably one where the child goes to sleep at the end if it - and sing him a song. Turn off the lights and wait for him to sleep. He won't. Ive heard of my friends child of similar age resisting for two or three hours!! He will not like it initially and really resist. Be prepared but don't budge. You just stay calm and pretend to be asleep.
It will take time but I suspect in a week or so he would be feeling sleepy by the time be gets to the storybook.
The success of this lies on the following
- your family's perseverance in getting his to work
- doing the same things of the routine inthe same order everyday without gap
- you'll have a success in a week perhaps but he will certainly try to revert back in two weeks to a month. At that time you must remember to be consistent and refuse to dismiss this as something you tried that didn't work
Hope it does the trick. Good luck
Members pls note that if you are using regional language to communicate in this forum then you should also give its translation in english this is for the benefit of others who dont understand the regional language