How to cook Thinai rice (fox tail millet)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by manjubashini, Sep 17, 2013.

1. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Yes manju, both vomiting sensation and some kind of discomfort in the upper stomach area/chest (i still do not know) is happening for me whenever i eat millets (except ragi) so just keeping that in mind, i am not going to millets side all these days, afraid of that....tried three times at intervals but the same experiences i had.... :(

Thanks for your updates....

2. Vimalaa

Vimalaa New IL'ite

yes, for me too , i felt like vomitting

Ragi is very good for health, i never have any issues with it. i generally mill them and use it's flour with atta and make rotis.

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bhucat and Vimalaa,

I have recently started using foxtail millet and little millet in my diet, and I have not felt anything abnormal. Actually it is filling and my kids like the little millet for curd rice better than curd rice with regular rice.

2 people like this.
  4. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Friends thanks for your updates or your views on having millets...

Let me try adding in my diet next week after returning from a short vacation....

Will let you know how i feel....again this is not de motivating others.....
    people should definitely add all these millets in their part of diet...for me i need again reinvestigate / experiment once again and find out the true reason......

2 people like this.
  5. Kumudini

Kumudini New IL'ite

Hi friends,

Regarding these millets we can even make idlis and dosais using them.
    I use 1/2 cup urad dal, 1/2 cup any of these millets, 1 1/2 cup rice. Grind them the same way we do for usual idli and ferment them and you can use it like our normal idli batter.
    Idlis become soft and is also good for health.

4 people like this.
  6. jayni

jayni New IL'ite

hi all,

I got interested after seeing this forum discussion. we do prepare food regularly atleast 5 days in a week with millets...
    few practices that we do while cooking millets... hope would be helpful..
    Millets were the most best food of our land and our ancestors lived their daily life with millets... all vedic living suggests to transform from rice to millet.. ok coming back to topic...

two ways of cooking millet..
    1. pressure cooker: u may or may not soak millet... we need to use carriers that we keep inside pressure pan ... if you have 2 boxes keep the millet in the upper layer with the ratio of 1(rice):1.75( water)... also the water that you pour in the cooker will create steam and enough to cook the rice... u will get a nicely cooked food... we do use varagu, saamai and thinai

2. Traditional cooking.. take a heavy bottom vessel pour 4 tumblers of water.. when water boils 1 tumbler of miller in to it and do mix them with spatula.. within 5 to 7 minutes will get a nicely cooked millet.

for idly: 1.5 cups of thinai + 0.5 cup of moong dal+ 0.4cup of urud dal and venthayam.. guaranteed soft idlies..:)

Healthys days

1 person likes this.
  7. rvasugi

rvasugi New IL'ite

Hi Manju,
    Where can we get thinai rice in Muscat? It would be useful for me. Thanx

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I usually make dosas with this - if I normally make 1:2:2 (udad dal: raw rice: boiled rice), I replace rice with millets - so I use 1c udad dal + 1c bajra + 1 cup ragi+ 1 c jowar + 1 c thinai

first grind thinai till smooth, remove it, then add ragi and grind, then add the thinai, bajra and jowar and grind.

Grind udad dal separately and mix with the rest at the end.

Sometimes I divide udad as 1/2 c white udad + 1/2 c black udad with skin (black one should be ground in mixie before putting in grinder)

smooth batter, crispy dosas, tasty with any chutney :)