How to cook Thinai rice (fox tail millet)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by manjubashini, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you get wonderful brown basmati, bulghur cracked wheat and also the regular cracked wheat i make adai, dosai and idli...you can also use both. i use them when i am there. and also couscous for salads.

1 person likes this.
  2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Will start making recipes out of these wonderful grains and share my views, taste does not matter, the satisfaction we get when we consume healthy food matters much.

Thanks Shanthi mam for sharing your secrets :thumbsup and thanks manju for sharing your recipes too....c u in the same thread later with my own experience :)

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Not only for us, but the future generation needs to adjust and adapt with the shortage and the shrinking of the rice bowl, we need to learn to reintroduce all the grains that we forgot. no wonder scientists are working hard to bring back all the 60+ grains that were available long back.

the other day i had the opportunity to check out black rice and black rice powder and that was the first time i got to see that,though i have heard of wild black rice and wild rice.

the art of hand pounding is gone. the most healthiest form of rice was the kai kutthal arisi..

My children do eat some of these grains..ragi, kambu, sago, barley and oats are regular in my home for the kids too.

6 people like this.
  4. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Yesterday my lunch was samo rice with curry.

Shanthi its true there's a great need of bringing back all those old grains. Its time to shift to a healthy lifestyle. My kids has adapted these foods except oats which they feel odd eventhough i tried many types of dishes.
    Yes Shanthi it's true we do get brown basmathi, burgol etc etc i felt let me have some options which i might not may get bored of long time.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pookutti

Pookutti Senior IL'ite

Dear Manju,
    Happy morning
    Can you please share where can we get these millets in Muscat?? Thanks

6. manjubashini

Hey pookutty,
    You are in Muscat.. In Muscat only very few like ragi, bajra, thinai (unpocessed) are only available in LULU itself... yet have to check in Haridas nensey if these Samo rice, kodo rice are available. Between in which area are you??

7. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Thanks alot Shanthi mam.. i bought varagu (parambariyam brand) yesterday and cooked it today.. It was good.. Happy that i tried something new and healthy today...

1 person likes this.
  8. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Manju, just saw this thread..am not sure you got the answer for your query..but still here my share..

The outer skin should be removed before we cook thinai..in my place, they used to sell without the husk part...if you couldnt get like that , do like this..sprinkle some water on thina(not soking :notthatway:), give a run in a mixie,may be you can use pulse mode..then take this in a plate and blow the husks..most of them come out easily...try it Manju...

Firsttime I tried to make payasam in thinai with the outer skin, it was cooking,cooking and cooking..:bangthen I poured the mixture in the sink..later only I knew about it...

2 people like this.
  9. manjubashini

Prana this what the answer i was searching for. let me try soon and feedback. i too cooked it two time and threw it in sink. Can you say why we need to sprinkle water on it. i felt i dont we pulse it dry.

10. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

Thanks Manju for a nice thread, I find this thread very useful.