How to clean the ghee pot, please!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Tiffin, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Tiffin

Tiffin New IL'ite

I have been making the ghee in a stainless steel preserving pan and afterwards I put baking soda and vinegar in the pan overnight to soften the sediment on the bottom because I don't like to use harsh abrasives for cleaning. It is still necessary to do some scraping and scrubbing and I am wondering if someone can recommend an easier way to carry out this task.

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Hi Tiffin,

I too use stainless steel pot to make ghee.. But it cleans up easily with just dishwashing liquid. I soak the pan with the liquid and hot water overnight. And just use a simple scrubber & the liquid (It is called Joy - lime flavor and available in the place I am in.. ) the next day in hot water..

3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Try making ghee in a non-stick pan/vessel. It is very easy to clean and cooks faster too. Just soak in dishwasher liquid for a while and scrub it off. I do it this way.

4. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Use it for seasoning your gravy/ kuzhambu which will take up the sediment so try that and then cleaning the ghee pot is less messy!

5. Tiffin

Tiffin New IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestion and yes, it would be very easy to clean a Teflon pan. But not worth the health risk, in my opinion. I never use non-stick cookware after reading articles like this one:

"In two to five minutes on a conventional stovetop, cookware coated with Teflon and other non-stick surfaces can exceed temperatures at which the coating breaks apart and emits toxic particles and gases linked to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of pet bird deaths and an unknown number of human illnesses each year, according to tests commissioned by Environmental Working Group (EWG).

In new tests conducted by a university food safety professor, a generic non-stick frying pan preheated on a conventional, electric stovetop burner reached 736°F in three minutes and 20 seconds, with temperatures still rising when the tests were terminated. A Teflon pan reached 721°F in just five minutes under the same test conditions (See Figure 1), as measured by a commercially available infrared thermometer. DuPont studies show that the Teflon offgases toxic particulates at 446°F. At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene."

1 person likes this.
  6. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

We use it for seasoning as Janani said.We use nonstick pan for ghee.After you seasoning,fill it with hot water.Let it be like that for 2 hrs.We use vim cleaning liquid after two hours and sun dry it for another 2 hours.Thats it!

7. Phalguni

Phalguni Bronze IL'ite

Boil water in which little cooking soda is added.Remove from fire and leave overnight. Now, you can easily remove the sediment without scraping.I've read it somewhere that adding some peels and pieces of onion while boiling water helps.

8. ananthy

ananthy Senior IL'ite

use dry sand (very fine particles, preferably strained from a tea strainer) or white rangoli powder (kolam maav'u). put a generous quantity and rub gently till all the particles absorb the oil/ghee in the pan. do it 2 or 3 times more till the pan becomes almost dry. after this wash it as usual using a detergent.

we do this even to remove tough oil stains from lamps etc. try it and tell me.

cheers.

9. magicworld

magicworld Bronze IL'ite

Tiffin,
    people seem to only worry about how to finish there task quick and not to worry about the ill effects of non stick ....:spin anyways just soak the ghee pot in hot water and soap. then add some flour (wheat / maida) rub all around and wash using soap and water. after reading ur post here I m throwing the 2 non stick pans that i use rarely.