1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How to check the purity of honey ?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Sabitha_K, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear ILites,

Can someone provide me any tips on checking the purity of honey.I love honey and have it with milk, porridge , bread and so on..

I am planning to apply it on my face now after reading rave reviews on its moisturizing properties.I need to apply pure honey on my face.Though every bottle says 100% pure honey , is there any simple test I can perform at home to check its purity.I have very senstive skin and do not want to develop allergic rashes owing to presence of chemical compounds.

Appreciate your assistance in this regard.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sabi,

simple test. dip a cotton wick in the honey. light the wick. if it burns clearly without any bursts it is pure honey. if there is water or any other dilution the flame will not be continuous.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear shan thank you...i too have wondered...also pure honey will always be in liquid form right?

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mindi,

It is in liquid state. but it can crystalize if kept in a fridge. bringing it back to room temperature will return it to the liquid state. I have heard that honey should not be used in boiling liquids (though i do not know the reasons:idea)

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabhita,
    Already you are so sweet, in addition you want to become more sweet by applying it on your face. When you apply please keep away from ants!!!!:)Jokes apart, now for the test:
    The dissolving test.
    Get a glass of water. This and a tablespoon of honey are all you need for the first test.Empty the honey into the water. If the honey is impure, it will dissolve in the water- the most common additive to honey is syrup of jaggery, which dissolves. If it is pure, the honey will stick together and sink as a solid lump to the bottom of the glass.This test can also be completed by mixing equal parts honey and methylated spirits (denatured alcohol). Pure honey will settle to the bottom. Impure honey is more likely to remain dissolved and make the solution milky.
    Pour a few drops of honey on blotting paper and observe whether or not it is absorbed. If it's absorbed, the honey's not pure.If you don't have blotting paper, pour a little bit of honey on a white cloth, then wash the cloth. If there is any stain left by the honey, it is probably not pure.Enough, my sweetie!!!
    with love
    pad

6. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Thanks for you quick reply ,Shanthi.That is a simple test to perform.:)

7. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Ohhhhh Paddy !

If this sweetened honey ever crystalizes then your warm words are more than enough to thaw me :crazy:crazy

Thanks a lot for the tip you have posted.I am going out to the dept store today to get the groceries and shall perform these quick and simple tests today itself.

8. keerthirani

keerthirani Senior IL'ite

hey very simple yaa...
    just put one drop of honey on the floor... and it shouldn't get spread from that drop.... that is pure honey.. thats it....