1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to avoid daily calls & interference from in-laws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by generic, May 17, 2014.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

My in-laws are not staying right now with us, but still my MIL tries to interfere as much as possible in our lives..She is very short tempered and if she gets angry she shouts a lot..She calls my hubby 2-3 times a day..she calls him once in morning or afternoon or both and once in evening when both of us are at home she talks to both of us or sometimes she gives missed call in evening and we have to call back....
    She insists on these daily phone conversations. If we do not call her for 2-3 days due to any reason, she gets very angry. Initial days of marriage I thought she was missing us a lot and was concerned about us, but over a period of time I have understood that the reason for this is because she is insecure and very suspicious of me as she thinks I'm not looking after my DH properly and may steal him away from her etc. The irritating thing, everyday she wants to know each and every detail of what we did, specially what i food have cooked etc(she is paranoid that maybe I do not cook anything and DH mayb starving and deprived of nutrition becos of that). She's moody by nature, and if she's in a bad mood (that's quite often), she'll show anger by shouting at me on phone and criticizing me & my parents and my relatives...If she's in a good mood, she'll speak to us very sweetly as if she's very concerned about us and get complete info about day-to-day things happening...later on she'll use the same info against me when she's in a foul mood.

Let me give an example, once I was unwell, and hubby did 50% of cooking for me. MIL pretended to enquire abt my health at that time and few days later shouted at me as I made my husband to do cooking while I took rest. Also one more time she called up when we were eating at a restaurant and sometime later when she visited us here, she demanded to be taken to same hotel. We were not able to take her to hotel tht day due to some urgent commitment and she created a big fuss and she scolded my DH that he takes me to hotel, but doesn't take her...So many such incidents have occured.So we stopped sharing much about our lives. But she insists on us talking to her and FIL everyday and it's becoming difficult for us...i tried putting on speaker so my hubby also will know what's going on..Even he has heard her shouting at me but still he forces me to call MIL n talk to her daily as he's afraid of his mum...Pls tell me a few tactful and genuine excuses to avoid daily conversations with in-laws and limit to once a week or once in 2 weeks...I want peace of mind and no unnecessary fights. I think many people have faced this problem, please give ideas as to how how I can limit slowly limit phone conversations and interactions with them.

Last edited: May 17, 2014

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If your husband is scared of his mum...let him be.
    You don't be scared of her...she is not your mom.She did not give birth to you...she did not raise you...she has no right to scream and shout at you.

When she asks about what you made.....tell her politely that you have been married for sometime and now know how to take care of your family.Tell her you get bored of answering the same question every day......ask about what is happening in her life.
    (inform husband that you are planning to do this as you are sick and tired of these interrogations)

If she shouts on the phone...tell her you don't want to be shouted at and switch off the phone.Talk to her nicely when she is in a good mood.Do not award for bad behavior....(Inform husband about this before hand when he is in a good mood).

I know it is easier said than done.My own mil makes me feel like **** every time I serve them breakfast by asking "What about A(her son),B (grand daughter1),C(grand daughter2)....all of them leave home before ILs are ready to eat BF.She does this each and every time making me feel like I don't care enough to get up and feed them in the morning.

I have been wanting to tell her...."I like to keep them hungry" .....someday...maybe someday I will lose it and say it!!!

5 people like this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Good suggestions, yellowmango. Yes I should be a little assertive to avoid irritating questions & shouting by MIL... I was wondering what excuses I can use to avoid calling her so often and how I can cut the conversation short to the bare minimum when she calls me...People who are staying abroad have the excuses of time zone difference, high cost of international calls etc., but since we are in India I cant use that as a reason.:confused2:thinkingsmiley

4. yellowmango

Put the phone on speaker and take the call together with Dh...mid way say something like"I 'll just stir the veges...or I will just close the door"......and move away.Come back just in time to say....namaskar or good night......You can give it a try.....bie1

Start the call by saying in a bored voice...there is nothing new maa...same old boring stuff.You tell her what you made and pass the phone to dh.....:coffee

Have long pauses between sentences...later on make a really sad face to Dh and say....I really am out of stuff to talk.....we need to do some interesting stuff,lets go shopping tomorrow,then I will have something to talk about.ideasmileyideasmiley

6 people like this.
  5. sandybeaches

sandybeaches Bronze IL'ite

How long are you married? Just give it time and the conversations will dwindle to once a week.
    Be assertive, I loved some suggestions given my fellow ilites, follow them.
    My own MIL used to drive me crazy by asking me the same q in every call. Once I laughed and gently said " Arent you bored of asking the same q day in and day out ". 5 years have passed and she never asked me that q again. Just be sure to say it in a friendly tone.

4 people like this.
  6. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Married for close to 3 yrs...Still, MIL never tires of asking wht I prepared for b-f, lunch & dinner....day-to-day activities etc...Everyday she'll ask.....I wonder if she doesnt get bored of asking same question daily...! I find it really irritated to tell the full day's menu, as if I'm a waiter in a hotel...As I mentioned in my first post, she thinks I do not cook anything for my hubby and that her darling baby must be lacking in nutrition! She has already dropped a few hints that he's looking very weak due to not getting proper food:rant:ranttsk

7. yellowmango

ideasmileyHow about you write down a menu plan for the month and post it to her?Make it like a greeting card .....gigglingsmiley

3 people like this.
  8. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

You married her Son -- her baby boy.... What if you steal him and starve him and keep him in untidy condition......... She need to know how her 30+ year old kiddo is doin with a new 26+ year old "donno anything to do" lady ... The best solution is Put up CC tv cameras in ur home and do live video streaming to mil .............Witsend

2 people like this.
  9. englishtutorjul

englishtutorjul Silver IL'ite

The next time she starts shouting at you, hang up, and say the line got disconnected. Keep doing this. She will get the message.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    3 people like this.
  10. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

That's exactly what i'm going to do.

1 person likes this.