How To “learn” About Buying “jewelry “?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anika987, Mar 19, 2021.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have no idea about buying jewelry.Wheever am in India and go out to buy something in a gold dhukaan I feel like water and oil :)

I want to learn about this grav,sovereign,how do people bargain etc..just to feel confident about it.

Any details kindly let me know or even links to learn about it would suffice.
    Thanks

Thyagarajan and amulya2020 like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Go to a reputable shop and buy what you like. I still prefer the classic names like Vummidi, Nathella, Lalitha, GRT, Mehta’s etc. We stopped once in Joy Alukka’s while visiting Kerala and that was dazzling. Can you bargain in the big stores? My father’s college classmate is from a famous family in the jewelry business, so if we buy at their stores they give us a discount in the making charges but we still have to pay the actual gold price.
    My grandmother like to make her own designs and would have a “thattan” come to the house and set the stones in front of her but I don’t know if anyone still does that.

Thyagarajan, vidukarth and anika987 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think it is a natural skill, not an acquired one. : ) I recall grandmothers and grand-aunts who used to supervise any gold and jewelry buying the younger folks did. Then, that responsibility went to the next generation -- our mom and aunts. Now, some cousins and sisters-in-law are better at it. I find it easier to bow to their superior knowledge and expert eye and take along one such guru for "serious" jewelry shopping that I do rarely.

In general, more than knowledge, I feel it is familiarity with the shop, the ability to sound experienced, dressing well and having been long time customers that helps with the traditional jewelry establishments. For the more modern stores, dressing well and looking rich help. : )

Nice thread. I am also curious about this and some links would be good to read.

Thyagarajan, Flyhigher and anika987 like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I took 3 older female relatives along once to the jewelry store and it was a very frustrating experience. All of them had strong opinions and in the end I felt compelled to buy something that wasn’t entirely to my liking, because I was afraid to be rude. My dad was sitting off to the side watching the interaction quietly.
    The next day he casually mentioned at breakfast that he had to run some errands and did I want to go? We ended up back at the same jewelry store. He again sat down quietly and with a twinkle said you choose, I pay. I still tear up thinking of that day.

5. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

All I know is my jewelry should have BIS hallmark logo, purity 916 number and jeweler's symbol. Compare the wastage and making charges between different stores and bargain.

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

does anyone have idea about sovereign,grams ,etc about the gold..they are talking about weightage I quite understand....

Making charges i understand..from the name :D

I have seen people talking about the above and I admit it is all greek and latin to me...

When I enter GRT..IT IS SO CROWDED and any jewelry store is super intimidating and to push through the crowd and ask them to show gold..just to write about this is so tiring lol

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Same with saree shop guys..the fall.meter for blouse..i prefer salwar kameez..easier bet:D

8. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

8 grams is 1 sovereign. If you see the stones in your jewelry, they charge the stone weight based on total weight in gold price only. Though it is not fair, that`s the usual practice followed in jewelry shops. But for the stone weight, we are paying gold cost only. That break up you can argue, bargain and whatever. The jewelry persons sing a same stereo typed pallavi, blah blah blah.
    I understand these things, but I leave to my hubby to bargain.

9. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

That is the vivid scenario. It takes hours to finalise even 1 item. We need patience, patience, patience....
    Further the crowd and waiting makes us tired and we may forego our bargain, benefittable to the shop only.

anika987 likes this.
  10. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Gold IL'ite

Every time I go to jewellery shop first thing I am clueless and I don’t know for some reason only what others seeing those designs looks good to my eyes except those sales person showing it to me. I go to buy one thing then end up buying something else. DH will be :BangHead:
    I wonder does anyone do the same :confundio1:

Found this link hope this helpful.
    What to Look for When Buying Gold Jewellery in India | BlueStone.com

vidhyalakshmid and anika987 like this.