How soon to start working after baby birth?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by aquarian80, Sep 7, 2007.

1. aquarian80

aquarian80 New IL'ite

Hi All

How soon do you think one can join back to work after the birth of a baby? I had a son 4 months back and i joined work this week. He is under the care of his grandmother but i feel guilty as to whether i joined back to work too soon and should have continued to stay at home atleast till he was 6 months of age. Although his grand mother takes good care of him he is missing out on mother's care and will get my love only in the early mornings and night. Please share your views

Geeta

2. moubera

moubera New IL'ite

Hi Aquarian80!

Congrats and best wishes from a fellow aquarian!

Being a working mom I can understand your guilt pangs. All working moms go through this kind of emotional turmoil throughout our working lives regardless of the age of the child. However, what matters is not the quantity but the quality of time and effort you give your child. Believe me, one can physically be with the child the whole day but not really attend to the child.

You are lucky to have a close relative look after your child at this stage. You must take care of grandma's needs though as looking after an infant is very strenuous. Organize the food, medication, clothes etc. before your leave for work and take over after you come back. See to it that grandma gets adequate rest.

The initial months are tough but they will bring you such joy and happiness.

Enjoy your professional work and being a good mom at the same time. It is possible and it is very satisfying. Don't worry about the guilt. It is the guilt that motivates us to become better moms!!

Take care and lots of love to your little one...Mou

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear friend,
    really,when u have already gone back to job why trouble ur mind over pros &cons.yes ,i agree take care of the grandma because she is giving u huge support by taking care of ur little one.
    personally ,i feel that if there is no financial need one should stay with the little one as long as possible.think if we start working from age 25 till 60,we have worked 35 yrs.if we reduce these 35 to 32 it hardly matters ,but for a kid these 3 precious yrs of our so called productive age which we give are very crucial & important.