1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How Safe Are Your Plastic Containers?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by coolblues, Dec 7, 2012.

1. raveeha

raveeha New IL'ite

thank u v much for sharing the information

2. simplysaher

simplysaher New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing....

3. NAshwini

NAshwini Gold IL'ite

Thank u so much for sharing,I never had a chance to study about plastic but here u gave such a very useful information in a short phrase.

4. TerrieDaw

TerrieDaw Senior IL'ite

Good one!! Did plastic bags safe??

5. pritiraj1885

pritiraj1885 New IL'ite

All plastics are high or less harmful.

All plastics have carcinogens which causes cancer.

Its better not to use plastics to keep mainly food and drinking item. Dry food or grains can be kept.

1 person likes this.
  6. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

What kind of containers are preferable for reheating/cooking in the microwave? are food grade plastic tupperware / pearlpet containers safe to use in the microwave?What's the alternative for plastic containers for microwave...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. ilvisitor

ilvisitor Bronze IL'ite

very informative... thanks for sharing:clap

8. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

i think the best bet is glassware for MW/ reheating . they are non-toxic.and best than any kind of plastic be it tupperware also.
    I also recommend the tradition reheating in steel containers. old is gold .....

1 person likes this.
  9. Priyathama

Priyathama Gold IL'ite

Thank you, I too have read this information in a leading magazine from then onwards I
    usually avoid plastic bags and containers but i have some small Plastic dabbas ,to carry curry , which bear number 5 on them ( b'coz i read that they are the safest to carry food). But one thing please discard these contianers after 3 months if you use them daily otherwise they will be harmful.

I have seen in my friend's house she had kept chilli powder, turmeric powder in plastic tins which have turned the tin's colours according to the powder they contain. Some chemical reaction might be going on which is harmful to human being. I have told her not to use plastic contianer for storage but she won't change.

Any way thank you dear for the helpful information

1 person likes this.
  10. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Prolonged storage in any plastic container and using the plastic container in microwave will be dangerous. for storage and heating pl,. use Clay or Glass. Random copolymer Polypropylene which has the recycle of 5 can be used in microwave for few min heating, that too we have to change the container once in 6 months.
    All the recycled plastics and coloured plastic container should be avoid it is very harm and leads to cancer.

Regarding plastic bags we can use LDPE bags and LLDPE shrink film for storage that too we should not keep for prolonged storage.

To identify the LDPE bag you can hear any sound when you crush where as the PET / PP bags you can get plastic sound when you crush the bag / pouch.
    PET with Inner Aluminium layer pouches we can use for storage ( if you store coriander leaves it keeps fresh. You can get this kind of pouch in all the chips pack.

Using Aluminium foil will be good for storage and it should not be heated in microwave because Inner side of aluminum will have the Epoxy coating even though the Epoxy is harm less it is advisable not to use.
    in our kitchen we have to use the following material too keep ourself healthy.
    1. Glass
    2. Clay
    3. Stainless steel
    4. TIN boxes / containers.
    If you need any more clarification ask with notification
    good wish
    health is wealth

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013