How Often Do You Eat / Order Food Outside?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Jan 11, 2024.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I order atleast once a week especially weekends and once in a while buy samosa puff etc..I don’t know if I eat out a lot:)
    How about you guys?

I am trying to curb restaurant food to once a month but for some reason I like outside food due to the taste..

drdiva and Thyagarajan like this.

2. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

@anika987 we used to eat out/ order in multiple times a week. Our family is a big foodie family. On top of it my in laws cook with a lot of oil and coocnut. But all this ruined my health big time.

So since December end I dont care who in my family eats out or orders in, I am happy with my salad and oil free meals. Hopefully I see good results in a few months !!

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Since the pandemic started we almost completely stopped going out to eat. Several of our favorite restaurants permanently closed and the Indian lunch buffets never returned even in the ones that stayed in business. The 2 places we go to about once a month are a Chinese restaurant and a Thai restaurant we have been patronizing for almost 20 years. And we have many wonderful mom and pop Ethiopian restaurants that we still like.
    Now all the restaurants have jacked up their prices and add a service charge and expect a 20% tip on top of that. Quality and service have declined, so we don’t miss going out.
    I do buy a lot of frozen foods for when I don’t feel like cooking.

nuss, Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

You surely will as it is a great start! All the best

gamma50g and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Plus I also have become lazy to dress up and go out..

Might as well do home delivery… watch a good movie and relax

gamma50g and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

once a week I need break from my own cooking .

anika987 and gamma50g like this.
  7. drdiva

drdiva Silver IL'ite

We used to order from outside a lot..i think it did affect my health..I noticed keeping amaid for cooking helped me cut down on outside food.

anika987 likes this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

As a family, twice a month not counting occasional sandwiches. I eat lunch at faculty lounge most days but I opt for salads so it’s my healthy choice.

Kids eat lunches at school and husband either packs his lunch or joins me at the faculty lounge.

Dinners and breakfast are usually homemade wholesome meals.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The weeks I am not in charge of cooking, we get food from outside 1-2 times a week and have that for 3-4 meals with rice or frozen naan. My treasured cooking lady comes once a week and makes vegetarian dishes I have taught her. And my also treasured DH : ) has taken to cooking a lot in the past 2-3 years - chicken, fish, shrimp. I am all set. : ) So are two of my neighbors as DH cooks huge amounts.

The few times I am fully in charge of cooking, I cook 4-5 dishes once on Sunday, and we end up getting from out 2-4 times. Meal prep is not my cup of tea.

One of the new year resolutions is to teach the cooking lady Mediterranean cooking. : )

10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

:hello:In our prime during our working life, spouse and kids & I always look forward to Saturday night to alternately eat in punjabi Dhabba and some popular udippi restaurants in places like Churchgate Dadar Sion Matunga. We used to be around 7.30 so that by 8, we are ushered in to a specific table. We used to enjoy the dishes in semi darkness with focused illumination only over the table and dishes displayed on the table.

There was no question of ordering and getting it delivered at doorsteps.
    I could see great relief from kitchen at least for one evening by spouse & i.
    Those were the times we never bothered about BMI & body weight .

As items ordered get prepared and brought to table after some Fifteen minutes or so, we go for some quick ready items like pakoras. My son and daughter & spouse consult each other with the study of menu cards and go through the entire list if around three hundred items under different headings with availability time period and finish ordering for themselves.

Whereas i go around, survey distant tables and watch food being devoured by the guests; and come back to my table and order items that used to be something different from those items already ordered by the family.

Once a bearer was indifferent in serving us, yet at the finish - he was tipped a good amount. Next Sat when we enjoyed food at the same table the same bearer did serve us over zealously. When the bill came, I tendered exact cash. He was taken aback. He was bold enough to ask me whether I had forgotten to keep tip. I told him, “i paid tip last week itself. Previous week your service was entirely hopeless. Yet I tipped you generously so that next meet you would serve us better”.

anika987 likes this.