How often do you check your CREDIT SCORE?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by SriVidya75, Jan 5, 2010.

How Often do you check your CREDIT SCORE??

Poll closed Jan 20, 2010.
  1. Monthly

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Quarterly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Half Yearly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Randomly--when planning to apply for a loan / something that needs the credit score report

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I have been wondering, with so many credit report agencies around, and some offering free service and some charging for the report, how often do most of us check our credit scores? do you keep track of it and try to improve it?? Pour in your thoughts.....

2. Renu1999

Renu1999 Bronze IL'ite

we have been advised by one bank person that it is not advisable to do credit score very often. once in two months is ok... But more than that is not good. so we don't do it often. I always wonder why one shouldn't do it often?? I don't know the exact reason. if someone knows the reason or heard anything like that before. Please do share....

3. SriVidya75

Renu

I guess you are talking about credit check not the credit score.

Credit check done by banks or any other lenders (like car dealers/retail stores/recruiters) brings down the credit score.This Credit check helps in understandings the balances and the financial situation the person is in to grant or approve certain amount. However when we enroll for credit score reports they send monthly credit scores through email where they would give analysis on various accounts we have, recent accounts opened, / closed, any new credit cards owned etc.

Any new account opened/closed, any new credit cards enrolled for or closed always brings down the score.

As far as I know checking credit score on a monthly basis wont bring the score down.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  4. Renu1999

Renu1999 Bronze IL'ite

guess you are talking about credit check not the credit score.

yes exactly.you are correct. I have very little knowledge about banking and finance.

5. SriVidya75

No Issues...:) Me toooo:cheers

Just started taking interest in all this since past few months wanted to understand the better way of managing money:coffee

6. Renu1999

Renu1999 Bronze IL'ite

I just saw that you are moderator for this forum.
    Congratulations....