1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you all talk to your inlaws over phone?(for those staying away from them

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by honeybunny123, Mar 7, 2013.

1. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Gold IL'ite

Re: How often do you all talk to your inlaws over phone?(for those staying away from

Once a week...usually dig for a reason and call...

2. sridevipc

sridevipc Silver IL'ite

Re: How often do you all talk to your inlaws over phone?(for those staying away from

I used to try calling my MIL and SIL every week but after some issues with them I have reduced my communication.
    If I need something will call n ask for it that’s it

3. honeybunny123

honeybunny123 Senior IL'ite

Thanks to all ladies for the replies...I used to think I am the only one having such issues .Everybody around me seems happily married with good relationship with in laws...I had started doubting myself,whether its all my fault.I had tried my best to maintain a good relationship,but they have been belittling me from the wedding day.Now a days I just talk to them only when my husband is around.

4. preetinaik

preetinaik New IL'ite

my husband calls everyday .I used to call 2-3 times in a week. My MIL complaints I wont call and when I call taunts me that now u remembered ...After marriage 5 months i was with them my husband came back to work at that time how she behaved with me is effecting now . I remember what all she did with me that is the reason i dont like to call her but for my husband sake I am calling her.when I call her she asks me what you prepared for lunch after hearing from my side she tells poor my son what all he should eat you dont know to cook also :( .. She wants me to work but I am finding difficulty here to get job so when she calls now a days ask me what do you do full day how you time pass, I think you are not trying for job .Then how could i feel to call her ??

1 person likes this.
  5. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

I used to call everyday when I got married and came to US. I used to hate it even then, when things were not that bad between us. Then I had some major blowouts with MIL & SIL & also with DH because of them. After that I just stopped calling. I don't know when I had called them last on my own. I don't even have their numbers saved and have forgotten the home landline number which I used to remember so well.

DH, meanwhile calls them twice a day. Once in the morning from the office, and once before dinner. I speak only when it is absolutely necessary (birthdays, festivals, etc.) and that too just a few lines. MIL does taunt about my not talking. It cause a fight with DH once, which I vented out here . Got awesome feedbacks. From then I've learned to ignore their mutual cribbing too. :)

6. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

They ( a big list of people from il call him on his cell) , so i DONT have to talk... i am happy that way:))

If we have not video-chatted, then i call up just my MIL .. she still complains to my parents that "kids dont call" which usually implies me.. my parents prompltly reply - "yes, "kids" dont call us either" ... then she keeps quiet.. and also i try to avoid talking anybody else other than MIL since i consider them as equals and not elders... MIL is DH's mom, thats the only thing I have for her.. whereas my DH is concerned he would be ok speaking just once in a yr to my parents.. totally unfair and but I dont care... I feel I do a lot more than what i really feel for them.. just being nice on the outside.. my defn of cordial :)

I usually call my own parents once in a week on 10 days.. so cant think of anythign to say to IL every 2 or 3 days.. i dnt want to be so close also :(.. experience is the best teacher.. have tried it(calling every day when newly married).. been hurt...tried again.. been hurt again.. so now just do what i think is feasible for me.. realistically... and without rxpectations

1 person likes this.
  7. poojanam

poojanam New IL'ite

Every alternate day... or once in two-three days...

8. divi87

divi87 Senior IL'ite

Me and DH call my In-Laws once in 2-3 days. Also we put call in speaker so that things will be clear between us (best way to avoid complaints).. Same for my parents too. My MIL ask me to call everyday but I said clearly we both will call together only.

1 person likes this.
  9. dahlia

dahlia Silver IL'ite

Reflection123,
    This has to be the best post I've read in a while. You put it so well :)
    lol @ $20. I wouldnt call my MIL even if I was paid 100$, I'll give her $100 to leave me the heck alone.

I called up ILs only because I felt sorry for them and I was compensating for my husband's lack of communication with them. But I realized later why my husband rarely talks to them is because they are annoyingly manipulative and calculating. I didnt even realize that I was being taken for a ride until quite some time. Now, of course I've put a stop to all that rubbish and talk to them only when I feel like, which is not very often :p

Neways, I thought your post was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best post ever!

2 people like this.
  10. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

My exMIL was like that. We had nothing in common beyond her son, and nothing to talk about. Every time, the whole conversation was her giving orders or telling me what was wrong with me. I just quit calling. ExH complained to me when his mom griped at him that I never called, but he quit complaining when I told him why I stopped.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013