1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many are wearing Thali/Mangalsutra ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mlk2009, Jun 7, 2009.

1. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

I wear my engagement and wedding rings while DH wears his wedding band when we go out.
    In the US, these rings make it clear that we are married. I don't wear any jewelery (rings, necklace, mangalsutra, earrings or anything) at home. I don't like to wear jewelery at home. When we go out I keep it to the minimum too. Not a make up or jewelery kind of person.

2. CUTECINDY

CUTECINDY Senior IL'ite

i wear it as much as possible .... i love my thali ... but am more crazy abt my hubby boy than my thali .. so removing thali doestnt mean i disrespect him ... i love him a lot .. :)

3. mkcm

mkcm New IL'ite

Hi,

I also like mangalsutra and sindoor(just a small point on my forhead to show off)......but dnt like bindi. But for my in -laws i have to wear all those things....otherwise they complain me......even if i have to wear sari n it should hide my hair also on head.....how horrible look for me......i never ever like sari as i doesnt cmfrtabl for me....its totally traditional for my all days whenever they are here.........i like saari ocaasionally......well my husband doesnt think about my saari but comment on me indirectly about bindi sidoor n mangalsutra........

4. pansy098

pansy098 New IL'ite

Hello all,

I was a traditional person who was once revered thali,bindi and was very proud to wear them..and ......i dont wear anything now............not because of fashion.....or its uncomfortable..............but because my marriage is filled with lies,mental torture ,ill treatment and with a person who doesnt care anything abt the woman he married.
    When marriage is a sacred union, why it should solely rest on women wearing a symbol ??....doesnt the success or failure of a marriage should be equally shared ?

1 person likes this.
  5. kuttysnandu

kuttysnandu Junior IL'ite

hmm..I love my thaali and wish to always wear it..but rarely Im able to wear cos it weighs a lot & I'm afraid of inviting unwanted troubles...

6. vidhya81

vidhya81 Silver IL'ite

i am sure you would not be doing the same when you are in feild. and what about your ota times.

7. ChithraSubraman

ChithraSubraman New IL'ite

Hi All,

i Am new to Indus ladies, just saw the discussion topic and the replies. Thought i could share my experiance on the Thalli. I work in a reputed firm.

As some of them said, it is sentimental and close to my heart too.

At present i live in US, either it is US/INDIA, our ppls view is the same. Our own ppl see me like an alien. Some ask me directly and some thinking inside.

U know what, i am wearing my thaali in yellow rope. This is so called old fashioned.

I seriously do not want every one to follow me or i don't interfere with others thoughts about it or i am not blaming the one's who wear it in gold/not wearing it at all.

Like those who have in gold/ or do not want to wear the thaalli. I would like to wear it with yellow rope.

People often judge one's social status or their level education or social well being with their appearance/way they dress up/how you go well with the current trend.

The total reason here is i believe my culture, i wanted to represent my culture whereever i am in. I am not ashamed of showing the world where i am from and what are the rich values of my own culture.

Some asked me - why u still wearing thaali in yellow rope. Some questioned about maintaining it and some even doubted about my social status.

All these initially disturbed me a lot, thought my personal opnion was to wear thaali in yellow rope.

But i did think about it and realised myself that i shouldn't be ashamed of what i am. Also when ppl(ladies) from other country were amazed when asked about my thaalli and richest cultural value behind it.

When i saw this post, just wanted to share my experiance......

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. seagreen

seagreen Gold IL'ite

I came across this thread today, and according to me how does it matter if ur in India or us or anywhere. I have worn mine on precisely 5 days in the 4 years that we have been married (the day of our marriage, the next day and the 3 karwa chauth's) Not coz I find it old fashioned but because I am not comfortable with it. Yes I do wear artificial jewelry with all my clothes, even ethnic wear but I hardly wear my mangalsutra only coz I don't like it much. I don't wear rings or bangles or earrings or toe rings or anklets coz I find it very restraining ( I don't kw why, but I do). I appreciate the fact that my husband nderstands me and never questioned me about and that's about it.

2 people like this.
  9. mercyagin

mercyagin Gold IL'ite

I guess u dont live in a joint family. If the case was so, even your husband wont be supporting you.

Anyway I wear mangalsutra but not any other jeweleries when I am a home.

10. Dynamic

Dynamic Bronze IL'ite

I wear my Mangalasuthra, Metti, Bindi, Sindhoor all the time.... but I will wear differently with costumes.. If I'm wearing saree/ salwar I wear classical type(little big ones with design) Metti, Big Bindi like that.

If I'm wearing western dresses I'll wear small bindi, small Metti and Black Beads, little bit sindhoor...

My Hubby, he wears his Marriage ring all the time, he never took it off...