1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many are wearing Thali/Mangalsutra ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mlk2009, Jun 7, 2009.

1. incarnation

incarnation Silver IL'ite

I was amazed to see so many replies on this topic..It shows that expectation to wear this maritial symbolic jewelery has so high importance somehow .....

I dont wear it , only when I wear some matching dress I wear things accordingly.Else it is simple I dont wear because it is my body my choice..

2. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

Thali .Is it precious?

Thali is considered as a very precious thing in our culture

While i was newly married my mother in law advised me to put thali inside , and not to expose to any one and also should not take out in front another thali .And i use to put manjal every day ,after that also at times, i got many scolding from relations as it is not in dark color ,

I wonder ! i was such instructed regarding the thali and maintaining so .
    but

now i am seeing many of my friends in my age just treating thali like a fancy chain ,even some day they are coming out without thali chain, and simply saying they have missed it in home ,

One good friend of mine was in search of thali chain for past one week , she is not worried about the missing and the sentiments behind it ,she is telling me that it cost about 100000.so she was searching .

although i am from a traditional family and seen none handling thali kodi like this, when hearing such persons talk i wonder whether am i over sentimental ?i even never use to put this chain out because my mil said that it will create a evils eye .

But i am hearing such igorant handling not from one but from many we are 7 to 8 in group only 2 is handling the thali kodi with respect others are treating just like that .

In one hand i am thinking as thali kodi is precious as it is given by my lovely husband and also fears if i mishandle it ,anything wrong will occur .

on the other hand i think tamils people only handles thali like this but all other tradition just put their thali out and there are different type of thali so what so if we mishandle it., all are humans all are having their husband with gud health , for a tamilian ,the kannadians thali may look like a chain for kannadians tamil thali look like some rope ,one thing is they have their belief in their custom, that too is is decreasing nowadays .

people mishandling their culture is also having their life smooth having their husband s health gud .

is a representation of husband or it as like just a patis tale?
    The belief in thali is only a tale or any specfic reason behind?

3. Monakumar

Monakumar Senior IL'ite

Re: Thali .Is it precious?

Hema76,

In marriage each and every custom have some science behind it. But we are unaware of it. In olden days ppl just followed it without knowing the reason.

Actually thali should be tied only in yellow rope ( Manjal kayiru with kugumam applied on thali since manjal is auspicious and have the herbal values property to kill germs or -ve eyes) with some coins tied by In laws (SILs or MILs). Also rope should be long enough to lie lower than heart and upper than stomach.

Thali depicts husband is whole responsible for wife and coins indicating ILs are with you for your sake.
    I have shared only my little bit knowledge in this. But an experienced person more theories behind this.

In due course the full yellow rope has been changed to gold chain and partial yellow rope. The sentiment of thali is suppressed in front of raising gold rate of chain.

I used to follow all this in India applying kungum whenever going to temple and visiting elder ppl who lived long for their blessing.

I just follow the custom and I don't know how much i am involved in it. According to me our views and opinions are getting changed and hence reflecting in customs also.

Now we are living in the era of Living together. Also working women don't prefer to put heavy chains. We are in the fusion of Indo-western culture.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  4. kspanjali1

kspanjali1 Senior IL'ite

Hi Hema,

I am attached to my Thali like a sentiment.... I never remove it and keep... Because I feel that attachment of both my husband and my mother's side is embedded in it....
    But ya.. I dont follow applying kunkum and harishina to it when i do pooja or when I am given the kunkum by others...

:thankyou2:
    Pushpanjali

5. sarada30

sarada30 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hema,

Now a days ppl are taking things only in fashion way.There are many who dont belive in Thali. But according to me i respect it a lot i dont even dare to remove it when i do my facial also. Thali represents our culture and respect to husband...

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Both me and my DH though fairly young couples, are what many might call 'old fashioned'.

I have not taken out my thali anytime. I attach very strong sentiments to it. Even the metti, sindoor
    People here ask me what is it you put on your forehead, I explain calmly to them it is a part of our tradition and you know what people respect it.
    If one day , for some reason, bindi is not there, my colleague would remind me - your bindi is not there.

It is just not hindus or tamiliains who have sentiments about marriage. Wedding ring for christians - I have seen people who value it most dearly. They never take it off.

Hindu or christian - our belief and some values attached to it matter to me personally.

7. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

You r absolutely true , Thali has some reasons behind but ,but y should it be represented in thali , we remember it know about our husbands and sils ,then y it is symbolically represented , then it going to be a name sake know ,

off course thali is pure and pure belief of ones .

thanks for the first reply friend

8. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

yes absolutely , as like me u are also loving ur thali so taking care and interested in wearing , sentiments apart .

I too not worrying much about others mishandling ,i love my thali so i am having with care ,i dont care about anything else weather it is a tale or anything
    thanks for the reply dear

9. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the reply sarada and happy to know ur opinion .

10. hema76

hema76 Silver IL'ite

Very true ,ur opinion is very logicl

thanks for giving me reply