How long do you have to stay home after having baby?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by cooks2010, Dec 2, 2013.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hello,

I am expecting my baby soon in the US. I was wondering when is it ok to go out with my husband (to the movies, restaurant or shopping etc..etc..) and leave the baby with my mother (after 2 weeks, 4 weeks or 6 weeks?)

My mother was saying I need to rest at least for 1.5 months and stay home with the baby. She says that I will feel really tired and wont be able to go out. I dont think I could do that and stay home for so long, without going out at least for a few hours.

What do other mothers do? Do you go out close by for a break or is the labor really that tiring, that I wont feel like going out?

Any suggestions?

Cooks

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

I had a regular delivery, and 6 days after that, had to go to the DMV to get my driver's licence renewed, where I waited in line, sat on a very hard chair, and performed other "strenuous" activities.

Actually, if I must be honest, it was good to get out of the house, and I felt like I was on a mini-vacation. Except it was at the DMV.

Resting for 1.5 months sounds wonderful, but I'm not sure it is necessary or possible in this day and age.

I've heard C-section mothers need a little more time than a few days, but I've also known some mothers who are out, with and without their new babies, regardless of method of delivery.

It all depends on the person. Hard and fast rules very rarely apply to any aspect of pregnancy, childbirth, labor, delivery, or parenting. You should do what makes you feel comfortable.

Believe it or not, women have been giving birth and going on with their lives (gasp!) for about 200,000 years now. It's not the easiest thing to do, but it's not the end of the world, either.

See how you feel, and follow your instincts. It will be you, and ultimately not your mother, who should be making important decisions to do with your health and happiness, and that of your baby.

2 people like this.
  3. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Each case is different. So check how you feel after the delivery and act accordingly.

In US I have heard of Amercian mothers driving down to the first baby check (at 7 days) all alone but in our culture mostly parents/DH take care of everything and let us recuperate.

Myself, normal delivery, had gone down to the paed's office with my DH who did the driving. Other than that used to go along with FIL/father (they used to carry the washload) till the common laundry room, two blocks away, it was peak winter time in northeast US. MIL/mom were worried about me going out but I liked walking down at least that much and getting a breath of fresh air. It was after 1.5 months that I actually started going out, functions, grocery shopping etc.

One of my friends who did not have anyone come over started doing all the household work after a week or so. Hers was a normal delivery too. So each case differs. Check what suits you after delivery. Do not be in a rush to go out. Take your time.

1 person likes this.
  4. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot. I guess I will see how I feel and how the baby feels and then decide based upon that.

5. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

I had a c-sec and was walking and sitting up the next day after delivery. Got discharged 4 days later.. on the 11th day after birth, we were at the postal office, applying for passport for our child :)
    so to each his own.
    1.5 months relaxation is a long time according to me. I traveled from US to India 1.5 months after delivery.. haha.. and was in Disneyland about 1 month after having my DD.

3 people like this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well..u can definitely go out but I waited for a month and a half coz of c section.At the same time, u might find urself in a situation where your mother will force you to go out but u want to stay home with ur cute baby:)

Good luck dear

7. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone, for now I just entered my 41st week and waiting for the baby :). I still have one more week of waiting left.

Cooks.

8. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Cooks for starting this thread. Even I had the same question, for a different reason.

DH needs a small surgery with 1 week recovery time. He won't be able to drive. I do drive, but I'm not much confident about it, and not sure whether I should do it immediately after the delivery (it could be a c-section). I was wondering whether he can avail of his paternal leave and can we all sit at home without having to go out absolutely anywhere for say 10-15 days?

9. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Shreya and cooks it totally depends on how your birthing goes and how well you and the baby are able to take it .

Not to scare you guys, two weeks after my 14 hr labor [vaginal 3degree epi]my stitches came off cause I wouldn't rest and kept at things :( so had to go back every day initially for a week to get the area cleaned as they couldn't restitch it again immediately as the area was still fresh from the birth so after a week of intensive cleaning. Had to go back every week to get stitched , see they don't do it all at once but in parts so once every week , I would get local anesthesia down there in five spots and stitches and it hurt worse than birthing. so every week it was fresh hell :(

Now eight weeks after delivery I am still going for post partum check ups and things are beginning to look a li'l better .

P.S: strangely epidural dint work for me after 8cm

2 people like this.
  10. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

Its different for each individual and usually depends on self and how better you feel post delivery. I have seen ladies started doing things on their own (cooking and other regular chores)from 3rd day of delivery. I have also seen ladies who have not attempted to even bend their body slightly or lift their baby till 6 months post delivery doh1 even though there are no health complications as such. So dont keep any such preconceived notions in mind and have good time:2thumbsup: