1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How easy is a divorce for an Indian woman

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by HopefulNisha, Jan 26, 2015.

1. HopefulNisha

HopefulNisha Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I was going through a lot of threads in this forum recently. Read a lot of sad stories. In most of the cases, the issues really call for a separation and I can see the veterans here advising accordingly.

But, here is my question. How easy is it for a lady to decide to go for a divorce. Aren't there a hundred of factors which needs to taken care of. In many case, they belong to an orthodox family, there are sibings yet to marry, parents are old, there are children involved and there is no job for the lady to take care of herself financially. In some cases, none of the above constraints are there, still people continue thinking about the social pressure they have to face after divorce, the questions they themselves/parents have to face etc and choose to sacrifice their life better than hurting their dear ones.

How worth is a divorce. I know it differs from case to case. Still is it as easy as it sounds in this forum?

N.B:
    1)I am not against any of those who advise a divorce. I myself would have advised it to many of my dear ones if I was sure about supporting them throughout their life.
    2) I know its equally difficult for a man to go through it, but here am just thinking about a lady who has to go for a divorce because the fault is on husbands' side.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

1. It depends on the specific cirumstances.
    2. It depends on the individuals involved, their tolerance levels, their value systems and what they can deal with, and cannot deal with.

Divorce is very difficult emotionally and practically, and that's why it is suggested only for the most excruciating situations, and in other situations people are adviced to 'work it out between the couple, and handle the differences'. It is not the first option, rather it is the FINAL option when everything else has been tried many times (including temporary separation to be tried out first) and has failed totally.

Ultimately, it is a very tough decision - that only the two individuals involved in it (ofcourse sometimes they are influenced), can make.

1 person likes this.
  3. sacredbell

sacredbell Silver IL'ite

- Divorce is not an answer for problems in married life. it should be the last step. It is also the starting of many new issues. If the kids are involved, the life after will be more complicated . it is really worth to think about it , before the separation.

Second marriage is always a 'patch up' family, and not same as the first one. Second Marriage is always risky. The new partner might be divorced too, in many cases. Actual reason would not be known. Many cases are with psychological disorders and not visible outside. You may realize it only when you begin to live with him.

- It is difficult to live alone not only in India, but also in abroad. Society would also play its role to isolate the single women. She seems to be a threat for other families. It is very difficult for a single women , that too divorced, to get an apartment for rent.

Society also install a special microscopic camera to track her activities / movements. She would become a topic of discussion in many gatherings, most of them are between people even unknown to her.

Many families pretend that their second marriage is successful and some claim even better that their first marriage. It is not true. A wound is a wound. It might have healed. But the marks remain forever.

3 people like this.
  4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

From a legal point of view there are two challenges in India. The "fault-divorce" (ie legal system forces to find a guilty part in the divorce) and the wifes right to the marital property.

But the legal issues are only a very small portion of the whole thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Divorce for anyone man or woman anywhere is like a trip to the dentist: dreaded, traumatic, expensive but you beg for it when you really need it.

4 people like this.
  6. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Bronze IL'ite

If divorce is inevitable in case of first marriage, the mistake must not repeated with the 2nd marriage. It's better that uninhibited courstship is long before marrying for 2nd time.

Also I understand divorce by "mutual consent" is much quicker.

1 person likes this.
  7. vidhyabaskar

vidhyabaskar Gold IL'ite

Extremely tough. Many are forced by social stigma to accept even an abusive marriage, rather than opting for a divorce.

1 person likes this.