1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how does the school system in US work

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sssaustin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

I have a daughter who will be going to school when she turns 5(I mean the public school)

I know we have 3 tiers--elementary,middle and high school but do not know abt the years in each tier.

how does the boundary system for the schools work?

Once after elementary is it possible for me to put her in any middle school inspite of the boundaries?

As I have been having problems with the school ratings for elementary,middle and high...I'm in great dilemma and not able to settle down in particular area.

In some area elementary and High seems to be good but not the middle and vice versa.

Can anyone advise me in this regard?

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Dear Austin,

Welcome to the great parental dilemma.....

You are not alone in this.

Ask any real estate agent and they have tomes to tell you.

As for the school boundaries you can check the local library for that. They usally have maps of local public school boundaries.

Here in US elementary school is for grades kinder garten thru 6th grade (some schools till 5th grade)

Middle school is grades seventh and eigth

High school is 9th thru 12th.

Only exceptions are areas that have junior high...8th thru 12th grades

School districts that have high rankings for all three, real estate goes for premium rates. Even the rental properties have high rents.

It is only people who are looking to settle in the area for a very long time look to have all three levels of schools to be ranked high for the area and are willing to pay more for the housing.

As for enrollment in public schools in out of boundary school, it depends on the local school board. Here in Fairfax county virginia, student needs to prove that one of the parents/legal guardians live in the school boundary. You have to find out about the rules from your local school board.

bonne chance (good luck in french complements Huma)

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Apart from Blondie's information I would like to add
    --- you can put your kid in any private school as this is not boundary dependent. But you might end up paying school fees etc.
    --- As everybody thinks it should not be a problem for our Indian kids to go any school district as we teach exclusively at home. But still it matters with kids learning habits, disciplines and other cultural activates.
    ---If Indian and Chinese population is more in the school, then there will be a good competition among kids.
    My both kids were going to private school all these years, now I am changing my first son from private to public school.

Good luck
    Punitha

4. shaluj

shaluj New IL'ite

Hello

check this website regarding schools and ratings

GreatSchools.net

i hope this will help you.

thanks

5. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    I'm delighted abt the flowing responses.Thanks to all who have responded so far.:yes:

Hope everybody would pour in their experiences with the school system.