How Do You Manage This Situation ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@anika987 - Go for it. You will struggle for a year or so but it will be worth it. Consider this as the cert or training that’s training you for a better job in a year. Consider the $10 as a stipend. You don’t have financial constraints to want to earn more from the get go. Manage timings, forget your income for sometime and you will be ok.
    Don’t consider gas/food etc and not go
    Even if you didn’t work you would spend on the gas and clothes and outside food.

I just got back after a long break and it isn’t easy to land a job even with experience. I’ve taken a huge pay cut(1/4th of old pay) and mostly gone in taxes and nanny. Yes my meager income does get added to my spouses so it’s taxed at a higher rate.
    It’s still worth it. I get to do what I’m good at.

Sorry, @BhumiBabe but this is furthest from the truth than it ever can be. An RBT, who is training with kids on the spectrum has to unlearn and relearn a lot of things. It’s stressful and depleting.
    My son’s therapists are awesome but they are the most passionate, hardworking and caring people I’ve ever know. They work and train constantly. They are challenged on a daily basis. Many leave within weeks and months because of how emotionally draining it is. They are constantly working one on one with kids who have many challenges. They are constantly training to stay on top of their certification. To grow in the careers they need further certifications. Most of them require dedicated hundreds of hours of work and study.

Many suffer from therapist burn out. They are the least paid and the most overworked people I know. They take it all with a smile.

I did try the RBT training by shadowing one of my favorite therapists for a couple of weeks. I didn’t even last the entire two weeks. And I know all there is to know about one on one therapy. I ran back to my old employment.

Unless you are very passionate about working with children with special needs you shouldn’t even consider this option. It’s neither easy nor much fun most days. These people make it seem like that because of their passion. And RBTs make 10-13 bucks an hr when they start.

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I had only considered the RBT role as a part time job. In my locale, it had flexible hours and a really supportive center to work at. Many of the employees are young college students or recent grads. It seemed like a good starter job, which is what op seemed to be looking for. I am not minimizing the work of RBTs at all, but when I shadowed them, it was something that I personally could handle and felt that it was fun. I didn’t continue to pursue the job only because I got a better offer.

anika987 and Laks09 like this.
  3. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Without a strong motivation nothing pursued will last long. Stepping back into any job even an entry level one after long is not going to be easy. The pay is not going to motivate you , the lack of any real career growth will not be a motivating factor, there is no real fun or creative factor here that will motivate you. So the real motivating factor for you here seems to be a)what my neighbors think (b) what my relatives think (c) What my child might think 20 years down the line. (d) maybe I should just see what it feels like..
    None of these are strong enough to pull you through long term unfortunately because you will face challenges.

I really think you should focus on finding something you are really passionate about. like Zumba,or baking or anything. Find something that makes you jump out of bed every morning excited. Then you will not be bothered whether 10 strangers on an online forum think its the right choice , your hubby thinks its the right choice or xyz thinks its the right choice.

4. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

Your DH has good points. Have you considered baby sitting? You can come up with kids of certain age and come up with a plan like a pre-school program. This would be like an entrepreneur, something you can turn into your own business someday. This will also pay more than the job you mentioned in your post.