1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you make your kids listen to you?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by teju, Mar 27, 2009.

1. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Vanathi,
    I am glad to know that there is no plan! Frankly, I too never plan how to go forward or what to do next, types. So I guess I am an ok mom!!
    Thanks a lot for your inputs. Yes, you have a long way to go before reading stops. So until then enjoy and why worry about something that you dont know, you cant help!!
    My colleague uses this method for his 8 yr old son: He buys new books for the son to read, he has also joined him in a library so that books are never exhauted. So on completion of every act/eating/studying/ etc, the son is given a book. Once the son completes reading the book, he is given a rupee coin for every book he completes reading. The son redeems the coin for a chocolate or a boomer gum.
    This is an idea that we could use in future.
    All the best!!

2. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Krithika,
    Its not about being helpful. Your point proves a very important and a valid perspective to the whole thing. I agree with you completely. Yes, how can you make anyone listen to you :) thats funny and stupid.
    But often I suspect my parenting skills. I am not confident. I just want to be a good guide and a friend to my kid, not a bossy parent. I do resort to blackmailing and bribing when I loose my patience, I even go to the extent of shouting at her. I dont hit her and I never want to do that. At the end of it I realise that I dont acheive anything out of all this. Just loose my energy :)
    So I am just looking for better ways to convince my kid. At this point, its not the broad listening skills of a kid that I want to focus, its how to make them do small small things thats important like brushing, drinking, eating, etc.
    A quote from the link you sent:
    Munakata said. "What would be more effective would be to somehow try to trigger this reactive function. So don't do something that requires them to plan ahead in their mind, but rather try to highlight the conflict that they are going to face. Perhaps you could say something like 'I know you don't want to take your coat now, but when you're standing in the yard shivering later, remember that you can get your coat from your bedroom."

I was looking for something like this. So that I could use this method on a daily basis for smaller things, that would affect her, if she doesnt do them.
    So, you have really helped me here because I am going to think about this everytime I face conflict. And I have always noticed that your posts are different. Your point of view is very different but always useful and practical. I respect that and its very valuable to me. Thanks a lot for everything!!!

3. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Priya_Mommy,
    Until your kid is two years old, I guess you can continue using these methods!! So no worry!! Best method that worked for me is showing new things, even broken kitchen items, anything thats not dangerous - all of this worked for me. Need not be a toy.
    Anothere method is creating excitement around the object, like how pavarun wrote earlier. Please go through that too.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

But Teju, you are the parent.You are not her friend - she needs the authority figure, how you use the authority is up to you. I would like to be the model for Kiran to imitate and look up to - sometimes I know I am failing my child. There I go again. I cant understand this need for parent to be friends, you can be emotionally available to the child, but why can't people in positions of power be? Another thought for you:)

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Krithika,

As always you have the best replies:) now just day-before i was having this conversation with one of the moms... she says she gets frustrated when the kids don't listen to her. but at the same time she thinks it's a good sign that they're having their own mind and not just nodding their heads to whatever is 'told' to them.

Teju,

I would say this is a sign of your LO developing her own independent thinking and she can demonstrate only to you, the primary caretaker, in its full potential:)

I find that whatever i have been telling my son he does follow them when i'm not after him. Simple things like washing his hands after returning from school and picking up crumbs coz his sister might pop them in her mouth. If I tell him even before i open the door to our apt 'now first thing i want you to wash your hands' he would purposefully not do it until i start fuming. last 1 week i didn't and he does it himself.

now one funny thing... he helps me wiping the done dishes (from dish-washer) once in a while. I told him he shouldn't put the dish down and do coz the floor can be dirty. Now this week-end i kind of reminded him about that and pat comes the reply 'yes amma i know the rules first let me start'bonk.

you must start listing out what is very important that your daugther must listen to... no choices like washing hands after using toilet, blowing her nose etc., rest don'T be after her and they do come around:)

Latha

6. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Hi Teju & Ilites,

Its a very nice thread. Good thinking & great ideas from all the ilites as to how to mend the kids. I am the lawyer for the kids i can say.

Why do you want to distract them?
    Why you want them to do this to do that?

They are like new blossoms. Please Please Please leave them to be on their own.

I am a mother of 2 girls 5 & half years and 4 & half years. In my experience, they follow and imitate parents. So As a mom i tried to be very well behaved. It worked. I tell you 2 instances.

1. My first daughter has the passination for cashew nuts. i told her the story & even she knows. but one day i fed her well & went for a party she ate too much & vomitted all in the party.bonk She was ashamed of it & THE END.

2. My younger daughter is very stubborn. refuses to study or narrate story. I also behaved like her once same same in her tone expression everything. she laughed & THE END.

You change yourself
    LETS B LIKE BABIES
    Hurray! it works very well.
    I am Happy dear believe me.:)

1 person likes this.
  7. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Krithika,
    Once again your point in indisputable. I guess I want to be a friend because, my mom was never a friend to me... She was always a person of authority, bossy, too many conditions and restrictions...
    I really dont want to be that. I know I need to find a balance.

8. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Latha,
    My daughter does not do stuff if I am not after her. If I leave her to herself, she does not do a thing she is supposed to do.
    Smaller things, I ignore as much as possible, but important things like washing hands, brushing, I cant ignore and I have to drive her hard.

9. teju

teju Senior IL'ite

hi Meena,
    I understand what you try to point out, but how do you make the kid do important stuff like cleaning nose after sneezing, washing hands, brushing. They should understand why this is done, rather than get distracted and give in to us.

10. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hey Teju,

I am always looking for ideas to deal with my kid but here are my little tips in one or two areas..

For brushing teeth, I found it so diff to put the brush into his mouth.. I used to get angry when he tried to play with it after my tiresome day.. but then I understood form their point of view, it is just a exciting thing to play with or even chew the bristles.. but this idea is working for me right now.. While starting to brush, I start telling him what all he ate tat day and say there will be germs sticking to his teeth, if we dont brush how will they go away.. then say that if we dont brush then only the doctor as to pull out the germs, then he will cooperate for a min, then I say ok here the germs are gone.. now lets kills the germs on the upper side, here and there' uhhh by this time his brushing is over and I am tired!

Another one once he sneezes, I run to him laughing, or show exciting actions like exclaiming and saying 'achachooo.. what happend to LO'.. he gets excited when he sees me running or seeing my wierd expressions.. at times when I dont notice, he will come to me and show his nose so that I clean it..

For washing hands, just try to say 'Chi chi Baby's hand is all dirty, come lets clean'. earlier I used Wet wipes to clean his hands, I use one of the wipes to clean his hands and then give another one to him to again clean it up himself.. he will ofcourse not clean but play with it.. who cares as long his hands are clean.. Then you can graduate her to cleaning with water in the wash basin.

All this might be tiring for us.. it was for me! to give explanations for each and everything is ofcourse difficult, but it is only until they get the idea na, so it is ok. I dont believe in saying NO for something without giving a valid explanation. It seems to work well.

Hope these are useful for you..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009