How do YOU keep your kitchen always ready ?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by hrastro, May 25, 2015.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pavithra

I am happy to see the detailed post !

Yeah, all the powders and pachadis and sprouts are life savers!!

Enjoyed the beetroot kheer idea !!
    We can do the same with carrot and lauki too or even a combination - yummy :)

1 person likes this.
  2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

@PavithraS 's post reminded me of condensed milk :)

OK what are the quick things you do with condensed milk!

I make these "NEVER GO WRONG" eggless sponge cake!

Tarla dalals basic eggless chocolate sponge cake is a fool proof eggless recipe - you can never go wrong with that [​IMG]

So many times I have just put together the ingredients without even measuring - make in cooker or otg or microwave.

I have even tried to make it in those sandwich makers too !!! Those triangle ones that you make stuffed sandwiches in! and it has worked well!!

I have replaced with pineapple essence, I have added tuttifrutti or walnuts or kismis or chocolate sauce - always comes out well !

Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake ( Cakes and Pastries) recipe | by Tarla Dalal | Tarladalal.com | #32921

1 person likes this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Dulce-de-leche is a sweet toffee or caramel sauce made out of condensed milk

Dulce-de-leche.jpg

Yummy creamy caramel toffee

Homemade Dulce de Leche Recipe | Epicurious.com

8 Ways to Make Dulce De Leche - wikiHow

Many of you might remember a green cover PARLE toffee when we were young - caramelly toffee sweet and chewy - this tastes exactly the same - but so creamy and smooooth and finger licking and swweeeettt!!!

1. Soldiers used to carry this to remote places because it stays forever and has the goodness of milk and energy of sugar.
    2. You can use it as topping for icecreams, cakes
    3. You can use it as a dip or spread for chapatis and breads
    4. You can chop carrot/apple/cucumber into batons and use this caramel sauce as a dip.

But these methods in wikihow and epicurious above means staying alert and checking the water levels for 4-8 HOURS !!!

So I got a shortcut! 3-litre pressure cooker and induction stove zindabad

WARNING !!! Pressure cooker MUST NOT get too much pressure ! Make in the night so that you DONT touch it till the whole cooker and everything inside COOLS COMPLETELY! Make this EXTREMELY CAREFULLY without kids nearby - whether you use a pan and boil for 4-5 hours or use a pressure cooker, the hot condensed milk can MUST COOL completely BEFORE you even MOVE it.

OR ELSE IT CAN EXPLODE

I usually start AFTER cleaning up for the night and kid in bed -

1. Wash the condensed milk can thoroughly.
    2. Keep inside the 3 litre pressure cooker at 1000 W on induction stove (Or medium high on normal stove)
    3. FILL WATER TILL the can is covered COMPLETELY
    4. Be alert to the pressure in the cooker - it will take some time due to the large amount of water covering the can.
    5. JUST BEFORE it gets to the whistle - Turn the flame/induction to MINIMUM
    6. If it whistles - switch off immediately, wait for 5 minutes, switch ON at minimum
    7. Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes at minimum heat
    8. Switch off and leave it UNDISTURBED overnight - sometimes I've found it still warm in the morning!!!
    9. DONT touch it - WARN your DH and others NOT to touch it AT ALL - IT WILL BE VERY VERY VERY HOT !!
    10. Open the can in the MORNING and ENJOY the caramel toffee!

If you want to use as spread, 20 minutes would be fine, if you want to eat the toffee as it is, keep simmering for 30-45 minutes - you'll get a darker caramel and stiffer consistency if simmered longer.

Beyond 45 minutes it will become too hard and too dark and could taste BITTER. So try it a few times.

I have tried this in a 5-litre cooker with 3 cans in one go ! It worked well too, but I was quite stressed till I switched it off :)

Unopened cans can stay outside - just mark them as caramelized to differentiate from normal condensed milk !
    Once opened, scoop it out and store in the refrigerator!

4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Awesome !!!
    So many things to keep ready
    And so many variations and ideas to quickly put something together :)
    Thank you @mathiravi

Ma-laddu reminds me -

I make sunni-undalu powder and keep at home !
    Any new births in the family or friends circle - this is one of the gifts I deliver to them :)

1. Dry fry udad dal till pink. Cool thoroughly.
    2. Powder sugar separately - udad dal powdering may heat up the mixie and not get powdered properly.
    3. Powder this fried udad dal as fine as possible - if you have a good mill nearby - use their service.
    4. Mix sugar and udad dal thoroughly.
    5. Store in airtight dabba

To make laddus, Melt ghee, add to the powder, make balls and let cool. DONE

The laddus are a very good source of calcium and energy for new moms! It takes care of the sweet cravings and is a good source of fat soluble vitamins and nutrients too
    So, this powder is a very welcomed gift for a new mother especially the ones who are breast feeding!

You can add/replace the udad dal with walnuts, pistas, dry-fried wheat flour or besan or moong dal too.
    You can add/substitute the sugar with jaggery, palm sugar, deseeded dates, kismis

Come up with your own recipes !!!

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Love your idea of clearing up vegetables on alternative fridays !! Thats discipline :)

I'm always on the lookout for a good vangibath powder recipe - please share !!!

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro dear today only I went through all your posts here and you are really great. Its sonice of you to share the knowledge you have . You are not only Kitchen Queen but also have lot of patience in taking time to share your knowledge in keeping the kitchen always ready. Your family is very lucky , especially your kid to have a loving mother. I found some of your recipies very useful. I always like to try different recipies everyday and when I get a wow from my husband I feel very happy.

This quote well with you, because you are helping everyone with whatever you know and they in turn try them and keep their family happy and you will be getting good wishes from everyone. God bless you and keep you always healthy and happy

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for your love and blessings amma!

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I had some guests last night and I was quite sick with a cold. And I really wanted to sit and talk to them - so rotis and dosas were ruled out.

I had some pasta sauce in the freezer -
    so I added the pasta sauce to a wide pressure pan,
    added lots of chopped vegetables - (carrot, beetroot, potato, sweet corn, green peas),
    sprouts from my freezer,
    soya chunks - sauted them all together,
    some biriyani masala, garam masala, saunf powder etc

Added soaked basmati rice and let cook for 1 whistle

The rice was delicious!!

I also made a platter of curd, grated cucumber, chopped onions and boondi mixture (boondi was bought from some home foods store) - kept these in separate bowls and asked the guests to "Make your own raita"

Paneer tikka was a big hit too -
    I make it in a very simple way - the previous night itself - perfect make ahead menu item!
    I chopped paneer into long thick fingers
    Add to 2 tbsp curd - any masala you like, herbs you like, salt, red chilli powder

I made a paste with coriander leaves, green chilli, ginger and garlic and added a bit of dhaniya powder, jeera powder, salt and red chilli powder.

Add 1 tsp oil to this mix.

Add the paneer batons to this and let the paneer pieces marinate (2 hours to 2 days) in the fridge.

Heat a dosa tava - nonstick griddle - Take out the paneer pieces from the marinade and roast them on all sides.
    You can use a grill oven too.

Serve with any green chutney!

1 person likes this.
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

hastro:
    from page 1: dhoklas are as good or better is made in the microwave...forget horsing around with the thali stand and cooker.

Friend gave me this link for stovetop pizza (yeah I know there are various versions out there but this one is super quick):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpjCOFVK4s

1 person likes this.
  10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

4 people like this.