How do YOU keep your kitchen always ready ?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by hrastro, May 25, 2015.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx sushmavja, SurekhaKrishna, fari, sangeethakripa

Please share your own recipes too.

Also, maybe if you have seen someone use such shortcuts, we can add them here or ask questions too ?

2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Homemade peanut butter

Inspired by this recipe I made peanut butter at home! It was awesome. Do try it out
    Homemade Peanut Butter - The Kitchn

I didn’t use raw peanuts. I roasted the peanuts (We Andhrites always have roasted peanuts in our pantry)
    1 cup roasted groundnuts.
    1 tsp groundnut oil
    1.5 tbsp honey
    Pinch of salt
    I also added 1 tbsp cocoa powder for the chocolatey spreadable peanut butter

1. Start by pulsing the groundnuts in the mixie - 1 second whirr and stop !
    2. It will become powdery. Now strengthen your heart and run the mixer at low speed. See that the powder now starts to get sticky.
    3. If the mixie doesnt process further, start adding oil else wait for 1 more round.
    4. After the second round, the peanuts will be sticky and oily
    5. Add the honey, cocoa powder, oil and salt and run again to form a smooth paste.

The photos in the link shows various stages of the peanuts, but in a food processor's chopper jar. I did it in the mixie jar.

It was a bit difficult to clean afterwards but that was the only difficult part in the whole recipe :)

You can try the same recipe for almond butter, pista butter, cashew butter or you can even make your own Nutella with hazelnuts !

Uses

1. Peanut Spread for Sandwiches or Rotis or even dosas
    2. Make Peanut Butter cookies
    3. Make peanut butter fudge
    4. Enjoy as it is

kavikuyil, Laks09, upfsabari and 2 others like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Also when we move place or house ...I like to make simple Rice,Arhar(tur) Dal with Jeera and Heeng Tarka with some mango pickle.

When we move ...I have the first meal carton.It has a small pressure cooker,a bowl for cooking rice. All dry ingredients,+onion garlic ...to make the most tasty meal on needs when one is too tired and too hungry .

kavikuyil and hrastro like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro

Wow ...peanut butter recipe.
    Will try today.

Have you tried putting warm/hot water in the jar and running the mixie for sometime .Be careful...sometimes the lids comes of due to pressure.It cleans up every greasy bit.I make my butter from cream in a mixer jar.After its done...I put warm water and a few drops of dish washing liquid and run the mixer for half a minute.It is shiny clean.

2 people like this.
  5. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Good one , hrastro. Definitely is very helpful. Appreciate taking time to share .:exactly:

I too make my own podis and keep stock, a typical south Indian home made, but not all these ..

Home made Sambhar podi, Rasam podi ,Paruppu podi, Thengai podi, Idly milagai podi , Upma udaisal , Jeera podi , Pepper podi , Red chilli podi, Corriander podi , Garam masala podi all these are continuously present in my kitchen..

Apart from these podi I also keep a small quantity of rice flour (eera arisi maavu), soaking paccharisi/sona maoori, drying under sun shade or dry fry in kadai , make it in to powder and keep air tight preserved. you can use this for idiyappams, sevai, Kozhukattais, Murukku, Kaaradaiyaan adais etc.

I also mix one or two of multigrain, millets in my idly/dosa/ada batter.. Sundal lentils are always handy...

Since we have only limited number of contacts here in US , I prepare my other varieties of stuff you mentioned , the previous night before having guests for food. In that way I find the taste and flavor fresh...

Regards,

Pavithra

kavikuyil and hrastro like this.
  6. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

@hrastro thank you so much. Great ideas and I will use many of it
    Many thanks,
    VAni

1 person likes this.
  7. Five

Five New IL'ite

Nice tips.

1 person likes this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

mmmm the joy of simple homemade kichdi !! Comfort food !

I pour some hot water from the kettle and leave it for some time and then clean it.

I am too scared to run the mixie with hot stuff :)

1 person likes this.
  9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx for your response Pavithra !

How do you keep your sundal lentils handy? Please elaborate for the benefit of new cooks :)

Yes, many of these ideas are helpful to get ready for house guests - makes it easier for us to spend time with them :)

10. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

A great and very useful thread.Keep posting.