How do you guys react?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by smart_soul, May 27, 2010.

1. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

It so happened that the lady by whom I was sitting in the bus had the ‘STRONGEST’ smoke odor to the extent that I had to turn my face to the other side to breathe. I didn’t walk off my seat thinking not to offend that lady. But I still could have, for I was sitting in the aisle seat. Later I felt stupid about myself not having walked to a different seat.

There are times when I was sitting by the window seat, someone sits by me with such intense smell (smoke, beer). At that point I can’t even move out and so I’m stuck there.

What would you do in such situation in a public place (transit, park, restaurant)?

1. Just bear with it as I did today and sit there not to offend the neighbor
    2. Just walk off to ward off yourself from such unpleasant incident (odor, in this case)
    3. Any other action.

Share your thoughts..

2. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

My reaction would be:

2. Just walk off to ward off yourself from such unpleasant incident (odor, in this case).

I could comment to the person about the smell/odor but everywhere you go, you run into such things.

Thanks,
    OOPALL!

3. Elvee

Elvee Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Long ago, when i was waiting for the bus to go to office, there was this man who was very drunk [in the morning] and was also smoking. Only ladies were in the stand and no one dared to ask him go away. Everyone stood outside the stand and it was drizzling. I went and told him to stop smoking as it was causing problems, but he started shouting back and i was pulled away by my friend. We stood in the rain while he smoked relaxing in the stand.

Because of the incident, i just fall in to your second option :( [/JUSTIFY]

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Walk away is the best option (unless a person is smoking in a no-smoking area in which case you can point it out them)

5. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

I would go for option 2.
    " Just walk off to ward off yourself from such unpleasant incident (odor, in this case)"

And if I sense it is safe to open my mouth, I would even confront him/her. But it greatly depends on the situation and its hazardous effects plus my safety/dignity.

In Tamil, a kural goes like this "assess your strength, your enemies strength and then decide whether to battle" (pagai vali arinthu, than vali arinthu..) I go by that.
    But I will for sure take steps to safeguard me and extend helping hand to people around me if it is within my reach.

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

smartsoul: now you know why most Americans like to drive themselves.

7. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

I would also go for the second option, just walk off rather than creating a scene there.

8. needhelp123

needhelp123 Silver IL'ite

I would also just walk away. Why should I bear the smell?

9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Just walk away next time.Smoke smell is not good for health.

10. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

I will move away from such persons.