1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How do you celebrate ThanksGiving?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nitha J, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

I am curious to know how you all celebrate thanksgiving or do you celebrate it at all?
    During the first two years of being in US; the only thing we looked forward to, was the black-friday sales..
    But now; I guess we both are mellowing and not so "frenzy" on the sales part... as before :)- We order the "thanks-giving takeout" from shoprite or wegmans or visit the restaurants that gives the Thanksgiving lunch.

Now ; I feel I need to start doing something special on thanksgiving..some sort of tradition; that the kids will remember when they grow (though now they are small and they are too picky eaters).

Do share your thanksgiving traditions; and menu as well ;)

1 person likes this.

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Nitha

I include cranberries and any form of pumpkin in the dinner. Love the cranberry dhal and bottlenut squash either in curry or soup and make stuffed braided bread instead of turkey. Some vegetable/fruit salad or stuffed collard greens curry along with daily cuisine.

1 person likes this.
  3. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

Dh and I are driving 6 hours to my moms place so no cooking for me today :)

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I live here for 30 years. I used to go to my cousin's house when I lived in East Coast. Then I have started my own tradition. I used to invite 10 or more families and make non Indian vegetarian food. I did the main dishes and others brought some cakes etc. now, I invite my neighbors and make muffins, breads and samosas etc for snacks. I think as immigrants we should celebrate Thanks Giving. It is not a religious holiday.
    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

We usually are lucky to be invited to a couple of Thanksgiving dinners :) and also we have small group of Indian friends and we all get together for another dinner with some pumpkin pie, after all the other early dinners!

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Usha... cranbury dhal sounds interesting.. :) Incorporating the harvest foods seems a nice idea..

CL; that is great!! A get-together seems a great idea.. That is a good tradition..Maybe I must dwell on that more :))

Desigirl; Srama you are a bunch of lucky girls :)
    Srama.. pumpkin pie from scratch??

Hoping to hear more from all you guys out there
    -Nitha

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

One of the others do that sometimes, other times buy it :) My job is BisibeleBhath - my friends can't get enough of that! So that is what I am busy cooking! And I usually make cranberry thokku......

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I do the regular Thanksgiving dinner. For years I did it myself and invited a few friends but for the last few years I have been going to a friends house. Normally everyone brings one or more dishes and she does the turkey. This year I am bringing my variation of green bean casserole (which I never ate growing up but her family likes it so...) and a pan of dressing. You know for Americans, this holiday ranks up there with Christmas as to an important family holiday and we compare a lot of notes about what we did, what we ate, who was there, and comparing to other years. Many times the leftover food is split up between the attendees and so no cooking for a few days.

All the traditional dinners are heavy on the foods that are of that season so there are a lot of root vegetables, squash and pumpkin recipes, and of course the chutneys and relishes that are made earlier and served. This is actually (for the quantity of food consumed) a pretty cheap dinner to make so normally it is a very affordable feast day.

1 person likes this.
  9. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nitha,

Nice topic...runs in my mind too..

Ours past 4yrs is like my sister family visit us from Virginia, we have family together time...thrusday family lunch, online deals hunting in laptop...

Friday whole day instore deals hunting....before 4yrs we were happy to go their place ...do the same:))

Even i was thinking that we have do something traditional way, as kids are growing&will have fun.

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Thanks ladies;

We went out to an Indian restuarant which was giving "thankgiving buffet" and I ended up having sort of "food-poisoning". That is a sign :) Decided that from next year it will be thanksgiving @ home .

Tina; Green Bean casserole is my favorite way to have beans :) That will be for sure next year

SunderUsha; when you make cranberry dhal; is it dried or fresh cranberry? What dhal do you use ?

Usha; yes Usha; next year we will start our own traditions

1 person likes this.