How Do We Calm Our Inner Demons

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Mar 15, 2022.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Tagging @Viswamitra @HariLakhera @Srama @DDream

Everyone feel free to advise

I saw documentary in his Prince Gautama became Buddha.

He had to make peace with the demons within himself.

I see people get angry and irritated no matter what.

one person had unhappy childhood, always fighting with mother (whine herself was toxic). She believed if her toxic mother was out of her life, she would be happy.

When she left home, she found that relationships with coworkers soured, friends she once enjoyed were now irritating and would avoid them.

So how to handle one’s demons in this case, this person no longer had that toxic mother, but now her relationships start good, then they get sour.

relationships with coworkers, acquaintances, relatives

However she found herself surrounded by people who didn’t have her best interest at heart and when the time was right, they stabbed her in the back.

How can people make peace with their inner demons? Similar to what Prince Gautama did.

i think if people don’t make peace with their inner demons, they behave unfairly with nice people, and then attract wolf in sheets clothing.

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

As the narrative goes, Siddharth was not allowed to go out in his childhood as the King was apprehensive that life outside the palace will affect his thinking. As a father of a child, he took it upon himself and went out on his Rath. He saw an old man with a crooked back and asked the servant the reason. The reply that all of us have to be old one day and die, confused him hugely. He decided to find an answer. Left the child and his wife in search of truth. There was no demon within. At best it was a curiosity to find the truth.
    As for demons within, we all have that to some degree. Mistakes teach us a lot. Family members and Real friends help us to overcome.
    But if one is bent upon destroying himself, no one can help him.

SCA, SuiDhaaga and shyamala1234 like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Suidhaga,
    Yes. We all have demons deep somewhere in the heart. Some demons remain with us throughout and peep out. We may try to calm them....but they never go away. As Hariji said some we can overcome with the help of family or friends or now a days with some counselling sessions.
    Some demons are adamant....visit very often. At times....some event or incident happens from somewhere...we start with a clean slate with demon disappearing!!!! Those we call by any name, mystery or miracle.
    My niece is a counsellor. She says people explain to them about demons. Counsellor just listens. People find that by talking to the counsellor the thought process gets streamlined and they make a sincere effort.
    Goutham Buddha , first went out of curiousity to find out but later he wanted to go deep. Many go back to their life when their curiousity is satisfied. But Prince Gautham did not stop there and as we all know he became Buddha!
    Syamala

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @SuiDhaaga ,

Thank you for tagging! Our reactions to situations go deeper than our current relationships/situations - we don't have to go into that right now. All of us cannot be Buddhas of the world. But like you have pointed out, we can all make peace with our situations. Letting go is a skill to be practiced for our entire life time and it is not easy. Just when we think we have figured that out in one situation, another crops up - it is work in progress and best to accept as that.

I try to keep things simple. To practice letting go or to get rid of negative thoughts, two things are required - one is awareness when a negative thought comes up and two is to have a solution to quell that thought. Assuming one is aware of this downward spiral thinking, we can bring a stop to that by a simple nama japa, or reciting a shloka. The mind shifts then from the thoughts to the japa. It takes sometime but is an effective technique.

Dr.Wayne Dyer has written a book called "Getting in the gap" - where I believe he gives some techniques and is similar to what I have suggested but with the CD included, he leads one to practice that. The idea is looking at those moments between thoughts and learning to lengthen that gap - since mind cannot be thoughtless, we fill the gap with a shloka or japa instead of thoughts. Hope that helps somewhat!

Have a wonderful day!

5. SuiDhaaga

it’s sad there are people who want to destroy themselves (others around them are likely to also get destroyed)

HariLakhera likes this.
  6. SuiDhaaga

Wow, I am yet to see any demon disappear, ie the clean slate feeling.

I guess it is about straightening one’s thought process to realize the answer in their own

I wish there was less stigma to seeking mental help, and instead considered a meditative process

I’m troubled that Buddha left his wife and child just hanging. It must have been so hard for a wife to lose her husband, esp in those days.

7. SuiDhaaga

You bet

I’ve noticed when I’ve figured things out and things get better, wham!

I am pushed few steps back! But it is something to learn and accept.

I like the idea of lengthening the gap between negative thoughts with prayer or affirmation. Or acceptance.

Have a wonderful day!

8. HariLakhera

As I said, we all have demons in us. In Geeta, it is referred to as Tamasaic behavior. The key is to kill the demon within. It is tough, it is tougher as we do not agree with the basics.
    I have yet to meet a person who is totally useless.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  9. SuiDhaaga

You are right.

People have gifts, we all do.

Some people choose NOT to tap into their gifts and they leech off others.

Or because of their laziness to tap into their talents, they get jealous if other who succeed, yet may have less talent than them.

HariLakhera likes this.
  10. HariLakhera

People do what they do that their circumstances make them do. It is very difficult to find an answer to that why? The best way is to be non-judgemental. As it is too difficult to understand the self, why bother understanding others, unless they are directly involved in life. And then too, there is not much one can do.

KashmirFlower and SuiDhaaga like this.