1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I Handle This

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by stayblessed, Jan 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

My daughter shared with me that her friend skips lunch daily and is feeling depressed because of her mom. From what my daughter shared with me, I gathered her friend and her mom don't bond well and the girl doesn't have people to talk to.

I do not know her parents personally and I don't know if I can call her parents. Also next year my daughter and she will be in different groups. My daughter feels kind of pressurized how to help her.

I see her often lost in thoughts and unable to concentrate on studies thinking all these. When I spoke to her for a long time asking what bothers her so much, she told me all this after a long hesitation. I don't know what the girl's parents side of the story is. Please pour in your valuable suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2022
    Caide likes this.

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

If I were in your position I would just call the mom and tell her in confidence just that the kid is going through suicidal thoughts . Also tell her to keep it confidential so things don’t escalate . You could potentially save her life . Parents often overlook kids problem . One time I got information about my kid from another parent and I thanked the parent and did what I could do to ease the situation with my kid . I’m sure the other parent will be understanding. But since your daughter doesn’t want you to call it will be hard for you to find the number unless the parents are connected through group messages . Hope the other parent becomes aware of the situation and provide needed help for the kid

Thoughtful and stayblessed like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Stayblessed,

School counselor is the way to go - they can help the student without even letting the parent know intially. She certainly needs help from an adult than a peer. Your DD while is very good hearted will begin to feel the pressure if she is not abel to help. Either she can coax her friend to see the counselor or perhaps you can meet with the counselor to see if you can alert the counselor and get the child some help. If the counselor sees a need for a therpaist, perhaps then she may have to reach to the parents for insurance purposes. School counselor is the way to go. My heart beats even as I respond to you and I am truly, as a teacher very grateful for students and parents who watch out for another. Your daughter is awesome - do tell her that!

lavani, anika987, Amica and 3 others like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What you can do highly depends on which country you are located in -- India, N. America, Singapore, Middle East, Europe ... -- how such problems are handled greatly varies.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2022
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Rightly said Rihana!!
    I completely overlooked that and suggested for us in Amreeka.....sorry! This issue is close to me since I work with a diverse student population and responded impulsively - not my trait :)

stayblessed likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

True ...school counselor is the way to go in Amreeka. For all my grievances with the school counselors in Amreeka for academic queries, in such cases they are a godsend. Hopefully, there are similar resources available in that school. Each child in high school should have easy access to a supportive, neutral adult who is not a parent or family.....

KashmirFlower and stayblessed like this.
  7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Very sensitive issue and my heart goes out to that girl. I don't have any suggestion but it is not good idea to tell her mom as that girl doesn't have good relation with her mom and I guess her mom can't understand her daughter's issue easily. I hope she finds right person to solve her troubles.

8. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

I think you should meet her in person. Not to discuss about this issue but to know whether it really is happening. I am not saying your DD is wrong, it's better to look into it in adults view than from children's view. Their are still young and still have more to learn. After confirming you try to talk with her first than with her parents. And suicidal thoughts should never be ignored and parents/teachers should b addressed about it. Don't keep it to yourself

As of now, you can ask your daughter relax little bit and not to think it over as she has come this far without her friendship. So she can continue to do the same being strong. First to make her have lunch is more important. I think your DD can share her lunch or make her eat hers. And better to have little chat here or there atleast once week about class change for term would give her good heads up.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    stayblessed likes this.
  9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

If it’s possible I’d inform someone in the school. If not possible I would just keep quiet and worry about my kid.
    I probably sound harsh but with teen girl drama you never know. How much is true, how much is for attention, what the history is etc etc. So I would not get into it. Another red flag is your kid is new to the school. And this person has glommed onto her. I feel your kid is lonely and vulnerable being the new kid. Since you have no idea of the history don’t get into it.

Actually I’m more concerned about what you said about your dd. And you should be too. You should help her cut off the contact with this person, and assist her with her feelings of being pressured and somehow responsible for this young woman’s problems. Grade 10 is a delicate age, kids have enough problems with academics and face a lot of pressure in high school no matter which country. Your kid doesn’t need this added drama in her life from this girl. I would focus more on guiding her.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Anusha2917 and stayblessed like this.
  10. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Mangai. I thought of that too. I can get the number from the parents WhatsApp group, that isn't an issue. But if what the kid says about her mom is true, then won't that make things worse for the kid? I can sense there is some thing wrong with their family dynamics. I don't know how many parents will check if it's their fault too and take steps to correct themselves and then the kid. But my daughter says her dad is somewhat understanding, again her friends words. But I don't have her dad's number. If i call the school, they may give the mobile number. I am pretty confused if I have to leave the issue or act on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.