How do/did you choose schools for your children?

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by Varloo, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi padma,

The most important thing that i did not mention..(not because i forgot...because i dont want to think on those lines...) my son was predicted to be a mentally retarded child. his physical brain structure and everything indicated that...he was born 40 days ahead...with a umbilical hernia , and feet that where upturned (because he was too long for my womb...). we were adviced a tentative brain surgery when he was 1 month...

we know he is going to be extraordinary in some areas and worse in certain..but we are ready to accept this.....

Even now it is really a miracle to have him look and behave like a normal 9 years old.today he plays cricket. but he cannot attend the military NDA for the shape of his legs...but that is his aim..we have never told him no..because who knows...if he wants he may be able to achieve....and i will support him for that....

The nightmares we have gone through .. the will to fight for my child has given me the strength to move mountains...

So i believe in miracles....

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Latha murali,
    please, do not apologise. I do not comment on others' belief or habits. I told you, I was very religious before. I can recite Lalitha Sahasranamam, Soundarya Lahiri, Abhirami Andhadi, Ganesha Pancharatnam, Shashti kavacham, Vishnu Sahasranamam, Suprabhatham and many other slokas. I do shrardam of my mil, samaraadhanai etc. regularly even though my hubby is the last son, we are the only who do the shrardham as a couple at home, both bils do by themselves at some place and their wives do not accompany them. As per our family tradition, we give a good saree to one sumangali during the shrardham also with bangles, kumkum, turmeric etc.
    And I do not say there is no God, I believe in God. But I do not ask Him anything or expect Him to make everything right in a jiffy. I believe that it is my vidhi that I undergo all these and there is no escape from all this.
    Every one is entitiled to theri own opinion and I respect your beliefs also.

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanthi,
    I can empathise with you. I had dreamed that I would send my son to the armed forces, but now I do not know if it is possible, physical fitness is a problem. But I am open and would accept whatever he does. But he needs guidance and we have to give that, he cannot decide by himself what he needs or wants to do.
    Do not worry, there is enough time for your little one to decide what he wants to be. My son initially wanted to be an auto driver, then a lorry driver, then a train engine driver.Now he is also open and would be deciding only after plus 2.
    Like you, I too encourage him by showing examples of people who have succeeded inspite of all odds. It is always Never say die for us.
    Only our inner strength will see them thro all hardships.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi varloo,

Sometimes, I too wonder....but seeing you write everything..brings tears..as i can identify with you ....but i will tell you one thing...things will definitely change for your family..especially aravindh...(my strong belief...that he will test us but will rewards us...)..my blessings and prayers are with him...

5. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Reading this thread has brought tears to my eyes... soemtimes we dont understand things... cos god has his own ways... but Varloo i agree with you completely that we should not ask god for anything, but mostly people still do, cos we are weak individuals… but I myself strongly believe that “maangi hui cheez hamesha dukh det hai”, and we don’t know what god has in store for us, but definitely that is greater than what we ask him for…

A family friend of my parents, went to temples and what not asking for a son, they had a daughter. Today he is 16-18 years old Healthy child, but his parents have seen the worse anyone can see and go through in life… he ran away from home once… was good student, but fell into bad company and studies went down the drain… he got admission in engineering college but ran back home within 2 months… fees was not refunded… they have spent lakhs and lakhs of rupees on Psychitrists and police to get him out of trouble one or the other time… His father is at a very good post in an MNC, just imagine how shameful it is for him to face his colleagues… on the other hand their daughter is happily married has a child and a great career…

So you guys are lucky, at least you children dint bring you any shame, in fact today they respect you and have are bringin laurels to you only, you are proud parentswhich is just great … Varloo I have read about your son and Padma you are really strong to face all that… hats off to you both…

While praying to god we should always say that “whatever you do would be in our best interests”

~Abha

6. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Dear latha,

I felt after coming to IL i feel releived atleast there is someone with whom I can share my feelings and views. Now I am trying to put Krithikaa in Sankalp in Annanagar. tomorrow i am going with my husband and krithi to that school i ll keep you all updated

Love
    Padma

7. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

I felt sad after reading your post. I was in tears. People who have undergone such turmoils only can understand any person. God has sent you, shanti,latha, abha to me thru this IL to me. I have sent PM to u did u receive it.

With Love and Care

Padma

8. bhageerathi

bhageerathi New IL'ite

Hi! dear ILites,

the topic is really very interesting. Just as many have menrtioned, I feel the reason for the indifference on the part of schools towards the parents is the crazy demand for the admission in some of the "branded" schools. Just as we go by brand name for our household articles and dresses eetc., people have become choosy about the school name and fame. Now-a-days, coaching classes j have become a part of the curriculum in the 10th and 12th classes. Hence, admitting our children inthe school closest to our place and sending them to coaching classes and supporting their studies by showing our interest and involvement will definitely fetch good results. This is my practical experience and this is what I did for my daughter. This will reduce the demand for admission in the so called hifi schools and thereby make them feel they do not have any crown on their heads.

Bye,
    Bhageerathi

WE ALL CANNOT BE GOOD TEACHERS TO OUR CHILDREN, BUT BEING GOOD LISTENER AND FRIEND TO THEM WILL MAKE THEM LEARN FASTER.

9. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Dear Varloo, Padma, Shanthi and all others participating in this thread,

I read all the posts in the thread...Hats off to you Varloo, Padma and Shanthi... Even my daughter is left handed by birth..she will be going to LKG next year only..as you all said, all my relatives force me to change her left hand habit with writing and eating.... As she is only 3 and a half years, I could make her eat with her right hand now...she doesn't seem to have any problems with that now.

She has not yet started writing...Going to play school only... She identifies all letters and numbers.. She started colouring the pictures with left hand...So I knew she will write with the same hand only...But the Ayah in her school (who is staying next to my house), told her to write only with right hand..even my husband tells her to do that...at first, she couldn't change it...but now she tells me her left hand is bad hand and she will write with right hand...she started writing the alphabets with right hand now. but not very comfortable with that. She never uses her left hand now... What do you all think, will that become a problem for her in the future...after reading Padma's post, I am feeling very uneasy....

About choosing a school for the child..that's a big problem for me now..I am not able to decide what to do... I am not very particular about SBOA or DAV, but since I will be moving to Mogappair area by next April, I am trying for admission in these schools. Also, planning to try at Chinmaya Vidyalaya and Spartan...I have got different feedbacks from people about Spartan...So a bit confused about that one....

I heard that DAV pressurize children to study and there are no extra curricular activities...I am not very keen on DAV because of these factors. My daughter is very naughty and it will be extremely difficult for her to adjust to very strict conditions at school. To tell u all the truth, I am in a really confused state....How to choose a school for my child....

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi folks,
    I just messed to say this, why do you people want to change your children's natural way? They could do well even if they are lefties. Amitabh, Abhishek are lefties. They will perform well only when they are doing what comes to them naturally. Never make let them feel that left is bad, this is all our misconception. My music teacher was a leftie and she even used to eat with left only. Do not heed o other people in such matters. Do talk to a pscychiatrist or your paed. to know he truth. Nowadays people are more understanding in these matters.
    Today's world is accepting same live in relationships,sex marriages, instant divorces and many such things. Being a lefti not at all bad, comparing to these.
    I will tell you one thing- the spinner Murali Karthik is my family friend, I know him even when he was a kid. His grandma is close me me. He is a leftie, he can write with both hands that too beautifully. His parents did not try to change him even though hi grandma was very particular. He is shining and no body is finding fault with him.
    Do let the children be themselves. Even my son does many things by left only, though he writes by right. He is right handed only because we knew that while we did the brain mri, eeg etc.
    Manju-SBOA Anna Nagar is good, Laxmi's (our moderator) daughters study there. You can ask her.There will be around 70 students in a class. You will get the admission without any problem. The applications will be given by Dec. Anna Nagar is a good place, with braod roads and you also have a city atmosphere with out much congestion.