How can I add an attachment to my post?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by jothi, Feb 6, 2007.

1. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Real Video as attachment.

Dear Induslady,

I would like to post a real video for the other ILites to view. I am not able to upload the video because it is in mpeg format and it uses a real video player. How do I attach that file.
    Thanks,
    Jothi.

2. rajisri1

rajisri1 New IL'ite

Hi,

Can I add an attachment in my replies? How can i do it?

regards
    raji

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  3. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How can I add an attachment in my message?

Hi Raji,

Please follow the below steps to add an attachment to your message:

1. After typing in your message, scroll down half way and click on the "Manage Attachments" button. The popup will show the type of attachments allowed and the limitations for each type of attachment.

1.JPG

2. When the "Manage Attachments" popup opens, click on the "Browse" button to locate the attachment in your computer.

2.JPG

3. Once you have located the attachment, click on the "Upload" button.

3.JPG

4. Once the attachment is uploaded, click "Close this window".

4.JPG

You will now be back on the message window. Complete the message and post it.

Hope this helps!

Note: Please be informed only registered members, those logging into our site can view the attachments. Those not registered / not logged cannot view attachments. They can only view the posted message.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
  4. Induslady

Re: Real Video as attachment.

Currently we do not have the feature to add video attachments to a message. Thank you.

5. sudhasrk

sudhasrk New IL'ite

viewing attachments.

hi all
    i just want to put a suggestion . i have joined IL in sept and is a new memeber.only,6months old. have made 10 post . but as per your new announcement we cant view any attachments of the craft and embriodery works . i love to see them and also i am intetrsted in appreciating it . so it seems the so far procedure will be use ful for all new members and also we can exchange our views. it is only bcoz of our family problems and tight schedule that we r not able to make posts .and feel that it will take again more time to make 50 posts. so kindly do it as before so that we can atleast view the beautiful works our friends in IL .

6. itsmeteddy

itsmeteddy New IL'ite

Re: viewing attachments.

I agree with sudhasrk. Keeping such kind of restriction to even view the attachments which are posted in the public forum is really not a very good idea, just my opinion. Like I was so excited to see the pics from Orphanage but I couldnt open it because i am new member.

I am ok with the restriction of private messaging etc, but to view the attachments????

Please consider this.

7. Induslady

Hi Sudasrk,

Please see the FAQ we already have on this subject.

We agree with you at a conceptual level about new members having ability to view attachments of craft work. But it is not feasible to execute that way. Please read on.

As members get more comfortable with the site, they are sharing pictures of themselves in the forum (during IL'ite get togethers or showing off their IL T-Shirt/Contest prizes etc). We didn't want these pictures to be visible to strollers i.e. people who register on the site just to look at these pictures.

However, we don't have a way to differentiate attachments that contain member pictures Vs attachments that contain craft work. I agree that it is a little more restrictive than what we all like it to be. Hope you would agree with us that we should be a little safe (and restrictive) than be sorry (and wide open).

On this note, 50 messages is not a big hurdle to cross. If you browse around the site, you are sure to find atleast 5 interesting threads to respond to in a day. Over 2 weeks, you have your priviledge!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  8. Induslady

Hi itsmeteddy,

Hope the above response also answered your question. I agree with you. In a perfect world where malice doesn't exist, we probably should have attachment facility for everyone. In an imperfect world, we have to have a little restrictions like this to ensure the safety of our community.

Still not convinced? Ask yourself this question - If you shared your photograph in the forum, do you like strangers to see them?

9. rajijanu

rajijanu New IL'ite

Viewing attachment problems!

Hello Moderator,
    I am finding it difficult to view attachment files like doc, xls and picture files attached by the members. If i try to view them i get the following message.
    --------------------------
    "
    rajijanu, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "
    ---------------------
    I dont know how to view my privileges. I am not trying to modify any posts, but trying to view the files attached by the member.

So let me know why is it happening and if i am doing any mistake by trying to click on it.

thanks and regards,
    Raji

10. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Re: Viewing attachment problems!

Hi Raji,

Welcome to IL.
    Being a new iLite myself, I am not able to open attachments and i am being restricted from sending or receiving private messages. This is because, you would remain a New iLite till your post count becomes 50. Once you become a Junior iLite you will be give certain privileges to open and view attachments by other iLites and to send and recieve private messages. So you will have to wait till then, its a policy in IL. Please go through the policy forums to get a clear idea.

Sri