Horse gram (Kollu) is good for menstrual problems

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by sujanags, Jan 27, 2010.

1. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

I think anyone who is obese and have hormonal issues and in TTC for long time can take kollu. i don't think there is any restirction for people who have thyroid. You can discuss this with your Doctor once if you are in constant touch with them.

1. Just roast kollu for few mins (say 2 mins)
    2. Soak kollu overnight
    3. Then pressure it in a cooker (note that use the same soaked water)
    4. Once it is done, you can drink this boiled water in empty stomach for day1 to day5 of menstrual cycle.
    5. For the remaining kollu and water, keep a rasam (use the same water and boiled kollu instead of dhal).

Hope this clarifies.

2. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the preparation method.

3. vijaysys

vijaysys New IL'ite

Hi Ramya

As sujatha said, we can have kollu if we didn't follow any other medicines.

How much is your thyroid level Ramya ? Did you check with blood tests... ideally thyroid levels should get reduced by 3 to 6 months of medicines plus yoga, or Aerobics....

best regards
    vijaya Rani

4. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi Vijaya Rani,

A year ago my TSH levels were high(I dont rememmber how much exactly) but the doctor put me on 5mcg Thyroxine and in 3 weeks it stabilized.
    I have been checking it every 6 months and it has been in the normal range. The last checkup TSH was 1.4 and T3 and T4 were also normal. I guess Ive been responding to my current dosage well and am continuing that.
    My mom v.lovingly made a bottle full of kollu powder(it tastes v.much like parupu podi that we have in south india). I thought I could make use of that if it would help me conceive faster.
    Please let me know if I can take it.

5. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

As Sujatha has said, Kollu is good for menstrual problems. It reduces cholesterol, filters the toxins from the system and it also strengthen the bones. Even in Tamilnadu, Ayurvedic doctors adviced people with fractured bones to drink a glass of Kollu water on empty stomach in the mornings. In those days people in Karnataka used Kollu and Ragi (Kevuru) as their staple food to keep themselves warm. But Bangaluru is not the same temperature wise anymore and all are eating rice now.

6. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Very valuable information. Thanks :thumbsup

Jaya

7. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Ramya,
    In my home also, my MIL prepares kollu podi and we use it for rice (instead of paruppu podi). It also goes better with idli or dosai.

For kollu podi, you will have to roast it nicely and then grind.
    When you roast, you will see that kollu splutters with sound. That moment, you need to stop and then keep aside for grinding.

Monifa,
    Thanks for more info.
    Now we know why Horse has got more power, because it takes kollu as food :).