1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Horrible Wife In A Good Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ThoughtsParv, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ThoughtsParv

ThoughtsParv Senior IL'ite

Today I did something horrible. I am not able to make sense of why or what to do next.

I smacked my husband on his back. He was not physically hurt - He is much stronger. I immediately sincerely apologized. But my intention was to hurt. I can not make sense of how We got here.

He is good man. Seen through the Indian context I am very lucky to have a husband who helps out and gives me a say in the happenings of the house.

Ours is an arranged marriage, he is 6 years older to me. I was hoping that he will be mature and level headed -he is happy go lucky, likes to take everything positively. Or you can say everything is a joke. The onus of all responsible things falls on me. The ‘mental load’ of keeping everything on track always frustrates me.

Along the way came two kids. After my first was born, there was a period when I was diagnosed with mild depression. My second is now 5 months old and I find myself crying often but it is probably just hormones. DH thinks our life is perfect and there is no reason for me to feel sad.

Maybe too much detail but to explain the situation more - it is normal between us for me to give ‘chella- adi’ . A playful tug in his ear to remind him to do tasks instead of nagging. A pretend smack when his teasing me crosses boundaries ( eg. calling me fat and dark).

Today was one such occasion, he was saying something about how he does not want to deal with the kids evening routine - ‘ we should hire someone for watching them / putting them to bed’?
    I told him that you only have 2 hrs with them - you want to out source that too? Accompanied that with a pretend smack in his back.
    Except time slowed down, I could feel the joke draining out of me and instead filling up with a frustration and anger. I have to convince him about everything including spending time with his own kids. I got blinded by anger and took it out by smacking him hard.

I cannot believe what I did.
    I realize that u have a lot of anger and frustration within me.
    I am not sure what I should do next - individual counselling/ anger management/ marriage counseling. Or maybe I am just overreacting?

2. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

Dont feel so guilty if it was done in the heat of the moment. Just be careful about controlling your anger and emotions from next time onwards. What you did was not ok but since you understand and acknowledge that - its ok. Forgive yourself, and move on. Don't over think on it.
    As women, we are ruled by our emotions and hormones, so its ok to lose control within a limit from time to time. Since you didn't hurt your hubby, its fine.
    More important than what you did was what was your husbands reaction, did he just brush it off or react in any other way?

3. ThoughtsParv

ThoughtsParv Senior IL'ite

He is a bit angry - not because I hit him but because I of ‘my tone’ when I said he should spend time with kids. Did not talk much as it was time to put the kids to bed. Now the babies have slept off and I am not able to control my tears.

4. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

Relax, its fine. Forget it, forgive yourself. Don't think so much over it.

ThoughtsParv likes this.
  5. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

His reaction of getting angry is an alert message for you. If he hadn't reacted on it you will never feel it's wrong in long term and will do that again. Guilt also need some specific reason. It does not last long if the other person has not hurt to the extent desired. So keep his anger and your guilt feeling always in mind and don't forget it. Try to think how nice he is and how many positives he has and how many times he supported you how your life will be without him. No one in this world can have more close relation with you throughout the life. These instances spoil the quality of long term life that you will share with him. Don't take it just as an instance that you can let go. Learn from it and think that it as a step towards your future quality of life. Small steps can make it beautiful or horrible. Decide what you want and how you would like to spend your life. With living together a separated life or a life full of understanding and love.

Amica, nakshatra1 and BeingSoulful like this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

This sudden burst of anger with an intention to hurt him seems like postpartum depression to me. You are with kids all day and when he comes around trying to outsource it, you unleashed that built up frustration on him. It is NOT ok but it’s very good that you immediately apologised. Is there a family doctor around with whom you can talk this through? Perhaps you just need some breathing time, away from kids, even if it’s just for 30mins. Having 2 kids is completely different ball game and trust me, it only gets harder. Parenting is so full of energy drainers. Hormonal imbalance doesn’t have a mind of its own. It comes when it comes; even when everything is seemingly perfect. I encourage you to talk with your doctor and find resources. There are plenty of resources, make use of them.

Maybe as a starting point, you can write down your fixed things that need to be done in any given month. Make an excel, something that contains, Rent/mortgage payments, hydro, credit-cards etc etc. Write down the due dates beside them. Most of them have auto-payments. Setup auto debits. For my hydro/mortgage/insurance etc, it’s been years since I manually paid them. Only thing I check and pay is the credit card bill. Organising things will take time when you start but its worth the effort. It will take so many things off your plate.
    And these days many offer home-delivery for groceries, make use of that. Little brainstorming here and there will help you a lot. I learned it the hard way.

And in my case, I noticed that he won’t do things around the house unless I specifically ask him to. Give him specific instructions, one at a time. You need laundry to be done? Tell him please put cloths in the washer. When done, please tell him, please put cloths in dryer. Then after, please bring the dry cloths to the bedroom etc…you see my point? Slowly and specifically get him to do things for you. Sometimes we unknowingly enable them with hand-holding in everything.

As for the kids, hang in there hun. They will grow up. I remember the time when mine were 5 months and 3 years respectively (now they are 3 and 6); things did improve.

And relax dear. There maybe n number of reasons for the anger. Are you eating properly and on time? Don’t be hungry. That’s a major trigger point in my case. When I am hungry, I get angry at the drop of a hat. Maybe when time permits and kids go to bed, you can point out what exactly you expect from him in terms of kids responsibilities when he returns home. Be very specific. Like, him taking the kids to the park for an hour so you can actually shower and cook something. Hang in there…
    You already know that raising the hand is counter-productive; so I will not insist on that. Just, talk to your doctor about postpartum depression.

Edited to add: Your expectations are well within reason. Its perfectly alright for a dad to pitch in after he comes home from work. Its not like you are in a spa everyday.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    amchennai, anushri, sindmani and 2 others like this.
  7. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

what is his office timing ?? if he gets only 2 hours of relaxation time then its not ok to ask him to spend that time with kids ...may be on weekends ..but daily its too hard for a working person

8. Rakhii

I very strongly disagree with this opinion.

OP, do not let him or anyone talk to you into believing that its your sole responsibility to bring up the kids. He absolutely has to pitch in EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. he is the father of your child.

amchennai, Zxcv, SunPa and 3 others like this.
  9. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

i very very strongly disagree with this opinion

just because he cant spend time with his kids every single day (as if its a clockwork ) does not mean that a dad is shunning his responsibility .:rolleye:.........just like ONE cant apply the same rule to a housewife and say " hey housewife , its not ur husband's sole responsibility to earn for kids , and u (mother) shd absolutely has to pitch in EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.u r the MOTHER OF THE CHILD" :smash2:
    ur husband "IS PITCHING IN" every freaking day by toiling and moiling his behind for bloody 10 hrs at least :icon_pc::treadmill:..just his "PITCHING IN " IS INDIRECT . having said that , he can /he shd spend quality time frequently :thumbup:

sbonigala and blissofmylife like this.
  10. Rakhii

I guess we can "respectfully" agree to disagree on this one then @friendabc.

And wow, i am completely taken aback by your rather rude response. I guess the culture at IL is changing afterall.

Anyway, he has 2 hours free time from work. So, the wife is expected to take care of the kids 24/5 going by your logic. And look where OP stands right now by doing the exact same thing.

Now, if both husband and wife agree with this 24/5 setup, there wont be any issues; but this setup is no longer OK with OP. Hence the issue.

Similarly, if the husband expects wife to contribute financially for the family, then yes, it comes through mutual agreement and she has to do her part. yes, every single day. isnt that how relationships work? For us specifically, we need 2 pay checks to keep with with our bills and so, both of us work. If OP's situation is the same (i.e needing certain amount of money), then it would be unfair on OPs part to refuse to work. It goes both ways, I agree. I dont know why you thought I was being one-sided.

SunPa, NeetaR and shravs3 like this.