1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Hooked on Sudoku

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GayathriSundar, Aug 15, 2007.

1. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

My father has to complete the sudoku from Hindu and Sify (Hard and Evil!) before starting the daily business of living. It is a good thing that he is retired. My mom has pooh-poohed the sudokus printed in newspapers and web sites and spends her time creating sudoku. She tries to get my father to solve her sudokus but he resists. I guess it was inevitable - they have been married for 31 years!

Now that my husband has to take a train ride to work he employs that time Sudokuing. And some times solves the sudoku at work; albeit surreptiously. The other night he was frantically searching for his special pencil. He has this quirk - he needs one special pen and pencil to take to work. Later I realised that he was frantic because he needed the pencil to solve the sudoku. I bet the pencil industry sales have increased with the popularity of sudoku. Of course the pencil has to have an eraser at the end. I am extremely nervous to solve a sudoku with out a pencil. I am not that intelligent nor cocky!

I took the bus to get lunch today and noticed that the driver had a book of sudoku and a pencil! He was solving it while waiting for passengers.

The difficulty levels of sudoku increase daily. I started an Evil sudoku today from Sify, got stuck and decided to write this piece. I do not like to guess while solving a sudoku as I forget where I left logic and started throwing numbers here and there.
    And now we have Samurai sudokus... I have not tried one of these yet! Has any one here tried these?

Gayathri

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Oh my God - do I love Sudoku or what! Here is how my Sudoku goes during the day - I start with what comes in our local newspaper - then at work, I have a day calender which has a puzzle each day - starts with one star on Monday and goes up to 5 starts on sunday. The one and two star gets boring now. Then I move on to the sudoku.org.uk website where they have all kinds of varieties - Extreme, Mini, Jigsaw, etc. I have tried the gentle version of Samurai - it takes a long time, though! I recently discovered Sudoku X and Sudoku Odd/Even and Sudoku 147. I sneak in as much as I can during lunch time. Then when I get home, I will complete the newspaper one that I started in the morning if I did not complete in the morning. After that, I have many books - one in each room, almost. I will pick up one and solve some more. My husband or my daughter does not want anything to do with it. I am addicted!! Love it - my parents both solve them as well. I must have got it from them. Would love to hear from other Sudoku solvers - and by the way, I only like the mechanical pencils with an eraser to solve my puzzles.

Shobana

3. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Sudoku - that evil :evil: and infectious numbering game that pulled me into its hold and was responsible for getting my food burnt many a time . Sudoku has been my companion in the US, it has kept me engaged and giving my otherwise rusting brain some work. A big thank you to the inventor of Sudoku.

4. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

me too...you can add me to the list! I love it!

5. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hi guys

A few days back only I have started playing sudoku. I got nervous if I got stuck in the middle. So sometimes it is an unsolved puzzle:icon_frown: .

Lakshmi

6. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Ladies,
    Thank you for your responses.
    Shobana you seem to be obsessed with sudoku! Do they still make pencils other than the mechanical kind :-D

Lakshmi - There are many web sites which give tips on solving sudoku. Check out this one - Sudoku

Tulasi - Glad you like to Sudoku. I am guessing in a few years time Sudokuing will come to mean "solve mysteries" just like Google means to search the web :2thumbsup:

Nivedi - You cook while sudokuing? !!!! Many has been the day when my husband had to do with instant food or take out while I sudokued.

Happy Sudokuing!
    Gayathri

7. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

I know I am obsessed - but in a good way - glad to see that we have so many of us who love this. I got a book for my dad which was a word sudoku - similar to the numbers one but with letters - have not yet tried it.

Shobana

8. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Sudoku lovers - I saw a magnetic Sudoku board in Barnes and Noble. Seems good to use.

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

This is an interesting thread. I love sudoko too. But I can mostly do level easy and sometimes level medium. looks like most of you are advanced.
    Its a nice engaging puzzle suitable for all age groups . Glad to see so many people enjoy it.
    regards
    anandchitra:)

10. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

hi Gayathri,
    Yes.... I can vibe well with your article...am an avid fan of Sudoku. I solve all levels except 'The Evil'... In fact, My day starts after my husband and BIL leave for oofice... Then I sit with my mug of coffee and the tabloid, which has Sudoku and 2sets of Crossword, quick and cryptic... I do both...and then turn my eyes to the world!
    Must have bought about half a dozen sudoku books so far... Then I got my neighbour and her husband hooked to it! HA! It is a pleasure to 'convert' people!