1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hone up your oratorical skill!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hmmm....an interesting piece of revelation from you, sir. According to my knowledge, 88.6% of nervous speakers have sworn that their legs..( mind you, any part of it...knees, calf musles, big toe and a few of the smaller toes too) turn into jelly with stage fright. A cool 66% of Indian friends have told me that they go 'pani pani' under arc lights. I wonder what percentage of folk is your's who mind so terribly Only when the legs turn to jelly.........:confused2:

Still musing...Kamla

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamla
    My point was why legs should be penalised for no fault of theirs? If you fail to deliver on the stage what you are supposed to say, the tongue is the culprit. Stage fear makes it cling to the upper palate like a shy child would cling to its mother!
    I hope that you are aware that in most places , a podium is provided to hide from the public view all the anatomical changes of a nervous speaker including legs becoming jelly. When you find yourself too heavy to trust your jellied legs to bear you, you can lean on the podium.
    Arc lights can make even the versatile speakers go pani, pani!
    sri

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the tip Sri Sir!
    Not that I am a great speaker or that people invite me to give speeches; but you never know!
    I actually want to attend one of the toastmasters club we have periodically in our workplace but it always coincides with another meeting from which I cannot get away!
    About a year or so ago I gave a lec-dem on Carnatic music with the aid of the Veena at my workplace. The audience was only westerners with the exception of my husband and the time I was given was 30 minutes! Actually I had done just that…presented some statistics and made the data interesting with bits of music! Ahem! Modesty is my middle name J!
    Now I feel good that I did the right thing! J!

4. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Removing the message before it is too late. In a moment of excitement I had forgotten myself. I was happy to see you write. Shouldn't have gone further than this. All the best friend.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Kamala
    Rotary Clubs in this part of the country invite guest speakers to address their members regularly. The time given to the speaker is 20 minutes and once I asked the President of a Club who invited me to speak what if I exceeded the time limit of 20 minutes. He replied that I could carry on as long as I wanted but his members would leave immediately after the 20 minute deadline!

Making short speeches to a bored audience calls for special skill. I remember the saying that to make an immortal speech, you don't have to make it everlasting. I find it very difficult to make short speeches because, as my name implies, I am a rambler. I love my voice and I use it on everyone to see if they share the same view!

Modesty may be your middle name but it is my first, middle and last name!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

My dear OJ
    I am delighted to see that you had honoured me by visiting an old thread of mine. As you know, it is more than a year since I wrote anything new. But occasionally someone visits my old threads and gives a feedback and I rush up to give my reply!

When it comes to you, I always love the things that you write and delete. That's where your brilliance lies. What you leave as residue for public consumption hardly shows people what a sterling character you are!

Thank you, OJ. I'll cherish this moment
    Sri

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

How are you? Thanks to Ojantrik da for reviiving this thread. I had the opportunity of addressing a gathering in my office duirng my farewell. Same time when I had taken VRS my ex boss who was very close also retired. So it was a memorable event.

with namaskarams

8. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    It was not OJda who revived this but kkrish(Kamala). She has revived about half a dozen of my old threads in the last one week. It's very sweet of her really.

You have only mentioned your speech but you have not told us anything about that experience. From your popularity in IL, I guess you made quite a good job of your farewell.
    Sri

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

It was my first speech. I was so happy when they told me to give speech. Though in the beginning I felt nervous but once I started I could continue further.. . I have still treasured that speech because it was a memorable event. This speech was written by me and a friend of mine helped me out in writing it well.

10. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

I had not realized that this was one of your old posts. I had jumped to the conclusion that you had started to write again. I am jealous to see that people keep commenting on your archived posts when I stand in the street corner with a begging bowl at best! But I love you nonetheless, such an ardent admirer I am of yours. Not just of your writing, but also of you as a human being.

I had erased what I had written because I was worried that you might never end up acknowledging what I had written and then the unacknowledged comment would hang there for the rest of eternity as a piece of supreme mockery in empty space.

Anyway, this is what I think I had written for your consideration. To begin with, I recalled the philosophers of yore, in particular the Greeks, who did not give much importance to statistics. In particular, I spoke about Aristotle, who claimed that women had fewer teeth than men. He did not think it was necessary to verify this easily verifiable fact empirically. It was logic alone that mattered, or what he considered logical. By a process of logical deduction, he argued that this must be the case. I don't know if he made this assertion at a public podium or if women were present to hear him out. Even if they were, they must have taken him at face value, or perhaps they were not particularly interested in counting. And if women were not present, then the men were only too happy to know that if it came to a biting match, they would surely win over female adverseries.

But then I also drew your attention to something you must definitely be aware of. The speech Chaplin made at the end of his trial in the movie Monsieur Verdoux. He was sent to the guillotine for the murders he had committed as you will recall. And then he said that people who kill thousands of human beings in the name of wars (read George Bush in Iraq if you will) are never punished. M. Verdoux, on the other hand, had killed a few women to keep his own family alive. And he had even failed in that, because the Great Depression ensured that all his investments had gone down the drain. Nonetheless, he was being sent to the guillotine, whereas conquerers received awards. He ends up by saying, "Number sanctifies!" And this falls in line with what you had to say. Throw in numbers and you become respectable.

The whole problem I concluded lies with Francis Bacon. It was he I think, more than anyone else, who introduced empiricism into philosophy. But for him, statistics may never have evolved at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incidentally, the reason why I visited your Ramblings after many months was that I received a phone call from dear, dear Kamla. Right now I am in Philadelphia with my son and daughter in law. Kamla, who lives nearby, and I had exchanged phone numbers. I had lost track of her number but good old Kamla did not lose track of mine. She called me yesterday afternoon and we had a long, pleasant chat. After we hung up, I remembered you the first thing and came here to see if you had written anything recently. I thought this was a new piece. Anyway, new or old, I enjoyed reading you as I always do.

Best wishes friend.

oj