1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

home made shampoo recipe

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by goka, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Ribbo

Ribbo Bronze IL'ite

Thanks sweetoo. very useful info

2. skak

skak Bronze IL'ite

Nice recipe sweetoo,I am going to try this.

3. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Just chanced upon this thread.I have dry scalp and thin hair.Can you give a shampoo and conditioner recipe for the same?

Also i came across this baking soda rinse(no poo method) and apple cider vineger conditioning.Do you have any info on the same?

Thanks

4. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

I do the baking soda/apple cider vinegar thing. My hair is as soft as my toddler's hair when it dries, and her hair is still baby soft. No dandruff, no oil (there was a short adjustment period where I had a lot of oil, but I'm told that's normal). I haven't gone back to regular shampoo or conditioner in almost a year.

There are probably a million methods to washing your hair with baking soda, but I'lll tell you mine anyway. I take a plastic cup with some dry baking soda into the shower with me. I have a shelf in my shower where it stays relatively dry. I wet my hair and sprinkle/rub dry soda into it, and rinse it out with water. I do that twice, and then I put baking soda in and rinse it out with diluted apple cider vinegar (half ACV, half water, stored in an old water bottle). I rinse with water again, and then I'm done.

You don't get suds with this method like you do with shampoo. The closest I get to suds is pouring the diluted vinegar over the baking soda.

I know some people mix their baking soda with water and store that in a bottle in the shower, but I didn't like that method. It requires shaking the bottle to get it to mix up again because the baking soda sinks to the bottom. It also took longer to work the paste into my hair and longer to rinse it out. I have almost waist-length hair and a small water heater, so if I take too much time washing my hair, the water goes cold before I'm finished showering!

Some people also use essential oils in the ACV rinse to help mask the smell of the vinegar. I find that once my hair is rinsed, the smell is minimal, and once it's dry, there isn't a smell at all. What you add, if anything, is entirely up to you.

A word of caution, though - do avoid getting either one in your eyes just like you would regular shampoo or conditioner. It really stings. That's the only reason I haven't switched to baking soda/ACV for my kids. It isn't tear free by any means!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    4 people like this.
  5. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Hi

Nice tempting shampoo recipes.. though i hv seen castile soap hv'nt tried it.. is it really safe on hairs? already i hv severe hair fall.. just asking coz im not aware of castile soap...

6. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Thankyou.Will buy baking soda and acv and try this option.

7. luvli

luvli Silver IL'ite

Hey LunaDoveDesigns,​

Thanks for sharing tips for good hair.
    Which brands of baking soda and Apple cider vinegar do you buy and Which store do you buy?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  8. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

It doesnt really matter. I buy the store brand for whatever store I happen to be at when I do my grocery shopping. I've used baking soda and vinegar from WalMart, Publix, and Costco with no difference.

Sorry for the late reply; I didn't know you had responded till just now!

1 person likes this.
  9. luvli

luvli Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much, LunaDoveDesigns.

10. NetraDivya

NetraDivya Junior IL'ite