Holiday Shopping Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nuss, Dec 10, 2021.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Hey all, most of you probably have already finished your Holiday shopping. I just thought to exchange ideas here as shopping can be stressful.

In 2019, we decided that instead of buying too many presents for the kids and for each other, we will travel during winter break and make memories together! Well then 2020 happened and there were no travel :). This year, we are finally traveling for 10-days right after Christmas. We are trying to minimize more stuff in our house while still enjoying the season!

There is still a lot of shopping for family, friends, and staff, etc.

The pandemic helped me move away from big box stores and shop local as much as I can.

This is what I am buying and I would like to see your shopping lists/ideas to incorporate for next year!

For our kids: Since my nephew (college Freshman) is living with us. We have three kids now :). I have adopted the "something to wear, something to read, something they want, something they need".

Wear: All three kids are getting socks (we love socks)- a pair of fun socks and a few pairs of smart wool socks for winter sports. My nephew needed snow pants and a ski jacket, he is getting those. All kids are getting thermal underwear for all things snow in the coming months. All of these are from our local ski store.

Read: My nephew is not big on reading. I got him "Personal Finance for College kids" to learn and manage the money he earns through his job on campus. My 9 yo is getting a set of How I survived books (He has read a few and loves them), The Girl Who drank the Moon, and Wizards of Once. My 6 yo is getting The Cat Comics series and The Neverland girls series. All from a local bookstore!

Want: Not sure what my nephew wants so I tried hard to ask/ think and decided on college gear (also wear). I bought a water bottle and college hoodie from the university book store for him. My son has started loving coding recently as they build a lot of robots in the classroom so he is getting a coding kit and my daughter is getting an art and building kit that she absolutely wanted. I could get all of this from our local Science Museum.

Need: The wear stuff is also "need". they needed most of it. So, this year we are using it for the "needy". We picked three Angel requests and each kid will get things that are requested by these kids.

For my husband's family- We only exchange gifts for kids and our parents, no siblings, and cousins. This is one place I use Amazon. My BIL and SIL send us a list for their kids and we pick presents based on their interests. Usually a lot of books and camping gear.

For parents, they don't need any stuff. they are trying to clean out their house. This year we made a picture book with lots of pictures, arts, and letters of kids. They love to see how their grandkids have grown this year! They are also getting fresh fruits delivered on Christmas eve.

Husband: We usually don't exchange gifts. We do something simple like chocolates or coffee. This year, the in-house chef needed to get a larger Dutch oven so I got him a new Le Creuset oven and cookie sheets.

Friends: I send gifts to three of our friends' kids (7-12 years). Everyone will get a book (When you trap a Tiger and Dogman books for 12 and 9 yo siblings; another set of kids (9 and 7) also wanted Dogman series and How to train your dragon for another 9 yo) and STEM/art toys from the science museum. For our friends, I bought local soap for my girlfriends, ghee for the cooks (I found a local business that makes"gourmet ghee"), and local wine for non-cooks!

Neighbors: I only give presents to one neighbor. She is an older woman and doesn't need/want stuff so it's always something edible. This year, I am getting her favorite pie from the local bakery.

Office staff: We have three secretaries/ budget managers. We usually buy wine during our travels and save those for gifts but this year I am buying local wine and Christmas cookies from a local bakery.

Our labs: Instead of buying a unique gift, I bought gift cards to local restaurants (those who like food delivered) and coffee shops (for those who love their lattes) and we take everyone out for lunch once the semester is over.

Cleaning lady and Gardener: I have always given them one extra salary and will be doing the same.

Teachers: I always have a hard time figuring out the right presents for teachers. I am planning to keep it simple. I bought handmade local soap and a gift card for local coffee shops for all the teachers! Kids made little ornaments for the class tree and they are also going to write a note. My dd's teacher has a lot of succulents in the classroom, I am giving her a super cute one from the research lab in my department that works on succulent and develop new varieties.

Donations: We donate to NPR and Our Science museum. which is going to stay the same.

I have never given presents to mailmen, dentists, doctor's offices, etc. I know my MIL gives to all community helpers but something I will think about in the future.

One good thing about shopping local is I could either order from the store on phone (Book store) or get gift cards when I am there (coffee shops and restaurants) or when kids are enjoying the museum (all kids' gifts). It took the stress off.

What are you all shopping?

MalStrom likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Great list, Nuss!
    I did everything mostly on Amazon since I barely get to shop in a store with a toddler around.

1) Kid: I got a couple of sets of Duplos, a bunch of kids books when Amazon had their buy 3 for 2 sale recently and a couple of those huge stuffed animals from IKEA.

2) All immediate family members live abroad so no physical gifts exchanged. I’m seriously thinking of getting a Storybook subscription for my parents but I have to ask them if they’re willing to take that on.

3) Self and spouse: we don’t do a formal gift exchange but I managed to track down a few esoteric items that might work so I’ve stashed them in my car trunk.

4) Neighbors: I’m going to get something for the 5-year old next door and that’s it.

5) Yard crew: I will give the amount of 1 visit

6) Daycare teachers and staff: one parent is organizing a pool for gifts for all the staff so I contributed to that. In addition I will give a gift card, a small box of chocolates and a thank you card to her classroom teachers, since DD will be moving up to the next class in January.

7) Kid’s therapist: we will give her a gift card and a set of hand cream and lotion.

8) Donations: each year my department collects money from all the faculty and staff and sponsors one or two families for holiday gifts. Since all the donations go directly to the recipients most of my giving budget goes here. I also send the annual donation to the rescue that I got my dogs from.

I used to tip the mailman when we had one regular person doing our route. Now it’s a different person practically every week so I wouldn’t even know how to give. I don’t tip any of our medical professionals but I do take in a box of treats to our vet’s office each year since they do a great job with my very nervous dog.

3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@MalStrom thank you for sharing your ideas! This was my first time in many years to shop in an actual store. I have been doing online shopping since my daughter was born. I set aside 2 afternoons on DH's kids' pick-up days so I didn't have to rush.

I would love to hear about the Storybook subscription. I thought about this for my in-laws but I was also a little hesitant. Need to ask them first. I started something similar (before I knew about Storybook) with my parents on my last India trip. I asked them a lot of questions and wrote down their stories- stories that I can someday share with my children!

This made me smile! My husband and I find things that speak to us but may not have much meaning to others. I found a canvas bag for DH that made me laugh.

This is such a great idea! I would try to introduce this in my department. It takes care of donations plus thinking about co-worker gifts.

Same problem! We have a new person every time I see them so no idea who the regular mailman is. I am sure the Vet's office appreciates the treats!

I was planning to get gifts for my 3 mentees from the volunteer work but I was told gifts are not allowed. I will see if I can take them out for brunch.