HOLI - Festival of Colours

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by malspie, Mar 19, 2008.

Poll:What Kind of colours do you use to play HOLI?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2008.
  1. Plain Water

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Gulal with Chemicals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rose, Green, Chemical Free Gulal

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  4. Oil / Metal Paint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mixture of all -- It is Holi buddy

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vanaja

You must have heard about the Hiranyakashapu story of mythology who had attained a special boon from the Lord regarding his death. His son Prahlad would always take the name of Lord Vishnu and his father would be very angry with him. He tries all means to kill his son for taking the name of his enemy. His sister Holika takes Prahlad and sits in a burning pyre to kill him. Under all trials Lord Hari protects Prahlad. Seeing such blessings from the lord on the child, the kings men too start following Prahlad. In fact, in that kingom, the kings followers were praying to him. Only his name has to be taken instead of God. The king feels he is loosing all his powers through the son and also has ego problems.

On the final day, he decides to kill his son himself. He asks his son, if you think there is god everywhere, tell me where he is now. He points out to a pillar and asks him, "is your god here". Prahlad asnwers in the affirmative. The king gets more wild with rage and knocks the pillar down and to his dismay he sees a figure half lion half man emerging out of the pillar. The figure hold Hiranyakashipu on his thighs and tears his heart out and kill him. Hiranyakashipu had taken the boon from God, that he cannot be killed either in the day or night and with many other conditions almost making death evitable. Lord Maha Vishnu's awatar of Lord Narasimha thus generates to wipe off the ego and anger in the humans. During Holi logs of wood is burnt along with old clothes etcc.. ward off evil and burn all the negative traits that we human carry. It is usually done during dusk. With passing of time, in Maharashtra it is done at night. The next day is celebrated with great pomp. Holi is basically a festival of colours. In our city here, Puran Poli is made (Puran poli - roti stuffed with purnam of Chanadal smashed with jaggery). I have not explained it in detail, but I hope it suffices your query.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Mals,

Celebrated Holi yesterday with lots of thandai, chemical free gulal, pichkaris, jalebis, and loads of eats. Never celebrated it growing up in the South. Will make sure my kids get to celebrate it wherever they live,God willing

3. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear malspie

u cum up with interesting polls and very nice one frm u,..how did u enjoy holi in mumbai...

lov
    sowmi

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sowmini

I was not in Mumbai. I was out of town for three days. Thanks for appreciating my polls.

5. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

I happened to celebrate holi for the first time in Doha though i dont belong to that place. It was a real good feeling being a part of it and i felt like this is the best festival and the one which shows national integrity. Could someone tell me the reason for celerating holi ? Computer Typing.

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

This should suffice your query...

Thanks for writing in and nice to know you had a great time in Doha...

Bye

7. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the info mals.