Hinduism believes in reincarnation, then why annual rituals?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sihi, Nov 30, 2006.

1. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Isn't it a contradictory thing? We say that the dead people take birth again for sure but we still go ahead and do the annual rituals or the "thithi" every year until the sons are alive. Is it not ture that soul or the athma might have taken someother living form? So when we offer the food and take blessings during the thithi, how can that soul come back just for that day?

Can people in IL enlighten me as to why we do so?

Regards,
    Sihi

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sihi !

I am quoting in english, what the great Sage Paramacharyal has said.

All human beingsmust express their gratitude to their forefathers called Pithrs
    by performing thithis.How do they receive it ?

The simplest comparison is sending money by money order, through the post office, for the money to be delivered to the person concerned.

Offering thithi is similar. If the rite is performed according to the shastras, the deities concerned will convey them to those for whom they are meant. If the fathers are reborn as cows the offering to them will reach them in the form of grass or hay. There are deities in charge who carry out the orders. So, the father or the mother whose thithi is performed need not personally come to receive the offering.

Does not the telegraphic money reach the addresse ? If the addressee is in a foreign country, our currency will not be valid there. If we pay in rupees here, it is paid to them in dollars or pounds or whatever. The things offered to the forefathers according to the shastras are conveyed in a form suitable to them.

When a toast is proposed to somebody in a party the guests drink or eat to his health. They do so in the belief that by virtue of their mental power, the man toasted will become healthy. The same holds good in performing thithis.

I have explained in my small way.

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

One Correction...

Dear Chitra...
    You have not explained in a 'smal' way....You have explained in a 'Great' way. What a wonderful justification for thithi.

You are wonderful.

L, Kamla

4. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Great explanation in simple words!

Hello Chitra Mam,

When I posted this question I was hoping that you would answer my question...and you did...thanks!

It definitely answered my query in a very nice and simple way......

Regards,
    Sihi

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Bravo !!

Dear Ms C,

Superb explanation. I loved the comparison you gave.

Vandhana

6. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

very good explanation

Mrs.C,

I have had this doubt as well. But your explanation was very apt and it is understandable to a common lay man !

Thanks

7. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear ChitVish,

That was a beautiful translation of what our Great Paramacharya has mentioned. I remember reading the same in "Deivathin Kural" by Shri. Ra. Ganapathi. Maybe you should take up the translation of all the 7 volumes or the great work, you do such a wonderful job of translating and presenting it to us in such a concise manner.

Warm Regards
    Vidya

8. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

Excellent reply.Great explanation in very simple words.
    :clap :clap :clap
    love,
    mohana.

9. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

I was eagerly waiting for your answer

Dear Chitra,
    You have done it again with such good comparisons. Not only that it made such an interesting read. There is so much truth in all our shastras if we perform it with some understanding.
    Love,

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Kamla, you.....

always encourage me, like no one else can do. How do I ever thank you, Sujata, for being so kind always in your words to me ?
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.