Hindu Mythology And Women

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BhumiBabe, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

I came across these links.

What Motivated These 9 Female Saints Of India To Give Up Everything For The Spiritual?

Most Intelligent Woman in the Ancient World

Sita versus Draupadi

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@Agathinai
    That nine-saints mention/limk reminded me of AmarChitraKatha magazine. IMO, the current day magazine is not so good; it is getting too current. :anguished:

Agathinai likes this.
  3. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

4. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

I haven’t read the current Amarchitra stories. So I am not aware of them. But I do like the older ones.

5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I think both women have questioned their husbands' when injustly accused. Try reading some of the links shared about Sita. Definitely fascinating to learn different perspective about the same old story.

6. BhumiBabe

I, too, am born Hindu, but I shall just say that I question everything - and cannot conform to any single belief system or religion. The fluidity of Hinduism makes this easy for me. Anyway, I started this thread with the intention to collect stories that may help women live their lives fearlessly, rather than follow the questionable advice that is commonly available to us.

There is no single way to live, but some stories passed down from our ancestors contain nuggets of truth about the female nature and ways to embrace that knowledge. It's really what made me send this question to the community. Sure, I added Dharmic to help people understand, but I guess I'm asking for something more natural than that.

7. BhumiBabe

I, too, am born Hindu, but I shall just say that I question everything - and cannot conform to any single belief system or religion. The fluidity of Hinduism makes this easy for me. Anyway, I started this thread with the intention to collect stories that may help women live their lives fearlessly, rather than follow the questionable advice that is commonly available to us.

There is no single way to live, but some stories passed down from our ancestors contain nuggets of truth about the female nature and ways to embrace that knowledge. It's really what made me send this question to the community. Sure, I added Dharmic to help people understand, but I guess I'm asking for something more natural than that.

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:thumbsup: If you have the time, read the stories, from old, not-so-old and new. Quite often "Moby Dick" would be a fish story for one, but quite a philosophy for another. Not getting too hung up on one thing, and getting one's own life messed up because of that, is the best way to go.

9. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

kaniths likes this.
  10. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

It’s impossible to forget Ponniyin Selvan and it’s famous characters. My favourite is Kundavai for her intelligence and smartness. Kalki would have portrayed her splendidly and her way of sarcasm and the incidents with Vandiya Devan are simply beautifully narrated. One can just visualise the entire story as one reads the story. Worth every bit of time spent on this novel. Many characters are real life characters but the credit to bring life into these characters belongs to Kalki.

Nandini with incomparable beauty would often be compared with Kundavai by Vandiyadevan. It will bring forth his underlying love for Kundavai in a subtle way and shows the negative characteristics of Nandini to the readers. Just brings back memories when I am writing this.

PONNIYIN SELVAN: Kundavai

True Characters of Ponniyin Selvan ~ Chevus' Read

The Women of Ponniyin Selvan – Prashanthini Mande – Medium

suryakala and kaniths like this.