1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Helping parents financially - Husband reaction

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by nr11, Sep 6, 2012.

1. nr11

nr11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi frens,

I m an active member in the forum for years and I get relived whenever I post my problems here. I m in a crunchy situation,helpless and stressed over an issue and i need all ur help..I m married since April 2011. Ita an love marriage,and we were ina relationship for 9 years..

I m the only child to my parents and my dad s retired. We had few financial issues in the family and my dad had to spend all his retirement benefits for debts and we do not ve a own house also. For my marriage I took a loan and my husbands family also had contributed 50% of wedding expenses. Now I ve closed the personal loan with my jewels which I had to,because of not wasting interest. I m paying for my jewel loan every month and its not a big commitment for me right now. I do take care of my parents bills everymonth and my husband did not ve a problem till now. Now,that I am pregnant for 5 months he says we ve to save some money for baby and delivery expenses. I understnad this and I ve been trying to save,but am unable to contribute sufficient because I ve to pay my husbands credit card bills,my dads bills and jewel loan..I do not spend anything for myself but I do take care of my husbands needs and I give away money when he needs.(His earnings are not sufficient for managing cos he s into a small company and he wants to start a business in future) He s paid low but he is hesistant to ask for hike to his employers. I ve not forced him or I never talk about it because i fear he will feel inferior of his earnings compared to mine. Ok those things apart,now this month i had to give away more than wat I give to my dad every month cos of necessity. My husband keeps track of all my accounts and nowdays he checks my account and asks why u ve only this much balance and stuff like that. He says i am not contributing anything for babys saving. He is trying to save 5-6k every month. He harshly told me,He will transfer the money to his account cos I m spending money just like that indirectly he meant wat i had sent to my dad. Now I m entangled because my dad gets minimal pension and he has to manage everything with that. In a city like chennai its not possible for him to manage without my support. I feel its my duty to give money to him. I feel so hurt and I cried a lot,but my husband doesnt seem to care about it. He has a car loan and he s paying for it. we get a bill of 15k every month on his card and I never asked y this much bill since I pay. Wat shall I do.

he doesnt give any money to his mom dad as his mom s still working, He doesnt know how much its needed to run a family stuff like that. He thinks of his expenses only. Now that i am pregnant he wants to save money for baby,and puts the blame on me like I not contributing anything. I have mediclaim,and half of the expense wil be shared by my compnay on behalf of me. This seems ridiculous to me wat he s doing.. i feel so bad and i dont feel lik talking wit him. He always goes out spends time wit his friends,goes out for dinner stuffs but now saying we need to cut back on our outing snacking dinner stuffs.even though we rarely go out.. I feel lik crying and I cannot stio sending money to my parents. They will be in trouble for sure. How to manage this.. Pls help.:bowdown

2. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear nr11
    my suggestion may not be very pleasant but sometimes rude shock treatment works..
    this weekend when both you and hubby are in relaxed mood.. tell him calmly that its your responsibility to take care of your parents and its a combined responsibility of the couple to take care of the "coming" baby.. so your contribution towards baby fund is XX amount which you will set aside every month from your salary.. however for this the cutting down has to come from both sides and since you need the correct nourishment/ check ups and medication at this moment YOU are the priority in this relationship.. so the cut down may have to be the credit card bills are unnecessary expenses in your opinion and other such sundry expenses. then you ask him what is the amount he plans to save every month for the baby.. this amount should be deposited by both in a separate account jointly held by both of you.
    regarding your contribution to your parents explain to him the actual problem and tell him that you will set aside YY amount for them and this topic is not open for discussion. However you must explain to your father to also cut down all extra expenses and not to pressure you further for any extra contribution as now you have further responsibility of a baby.
    the problem with us women (especially you marry after a long courtship) is the pressure of pleasing all and sundry and as a result we yet highly traumatised by circumstances as we want to be perfect for all.. now thats not possible and with age and maturity you will realise that you were a puppet for both parents and hubby in their game of life.. learn to say NO. learn to hold the bull by its horns and say "NO MORE... THATS NOT GOOD THING YOU ARE DOING".. learn to do things the way you think is correct after all nobody is perfect..
    I'm telling you this because I've gone through this phase and realised that its useless crying within.. no one cares.. saying out that you are hurt and putting and end to that is the only way ..
    K