1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed in selecting preschool in US......

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by jignasha27, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    Plz experienced moms in US need your help..... My son is 2 n half yrs old. Am hunting for schools. But really confused what type of school to choose from. I am stay at home mom. First of all I don't know much about the schooling here in US. There are church based preschools and then private schools and also Montessori. I heard that in normal preschools they don't stress much academically..... Am really confused here. Some of my friends kids went to normal preschool but they used to sit at home and study with their mom where as my kid just wants to play with me. I seriously prefer Indian style education where extra activities and studies are thought simultaneously at early stage.... Plz ladies help me in deciding.....

Thank you all

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

jignasha, if you have a Montessori school close by, then my choice would be for that. I am not saying public or catholic schools are bad. But from what I heard and seen, Montessori's usually concentrate on a lot more activities, including studies and teacher to child ration is much smaller.

3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

At two and a half, you need to seek out a school which will kindle in him a thirst for knowledge. Academics? What academics can be drilled into a baby! He needs to enjoy the experience of going to school, learn to mingle in groups, to eat, talk, play in style. In the bargain if he acquires some knowledge along the way...it would be a topping!
    Mega

2 people like this.
  4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Play is child's work. Put him in a place which emphasizes play.

1 person likes this.
  5. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your replies and good advice.