1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help!! My baby's almost on a hunger strike!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Vinu4me, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I started going back to work since this week and my 3 month old is refusing to bottle feed. She has almost got the hang of the bottle, so its not that she is not used to the bottle. The paed had asked us to give her one scoop of nestum diluted in milk (aavin) at about 10:30 in the morning and follow it up with 60 ml of milk. Currently, I come home for lunch at 1:30 and BF her. Again my mom is supposed to give her 120 ml of milk in the evening arnd 3:30 pm.

Now, my daughter has the nestum but refuses the milk. When my mom gives her the milk after an hour or evn later she drinks about 20 ml max. In the evening she has only about 30 ml that too with a lot of gaps. She waits for me to get home and then BF from me.

This is troubling me a lot. I just don't know what to do. I can't come home for lunch forever. I can do so only for another week. Plsssssssss help!!!

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poornima, why did your paed suggest cow'smilk at this age. It is generally not advised to start cow's milk before 9 months, and that too only cooked milk or curd. If you find pumping and feeding the pumped milk a problem - if your office does not provide you with a pumping room, etc - then formula is a better option than cow's milk or Nestum at three months.

3. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

She told me that this would not cause constipation problems for the baby. Anyways I met my paed and am now pumping BM for Vinu. How can I keep the pumped milk chilled before I take it home? Any ideas?

How much ml of milk is the baby supposed to drink? She takes about 20 ml at a time even when I have shifted to pumped BM. What do I do?

ILites, please provide suggestions and share similar experiences. I want to know if this is common with babies.

Regards,
    Poornima.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Is a cooler an option for you. Sorry,I was only an occasional pumper for my child and I too had the same problem of Kiran not feeding more than one ounce at a time, despite me trying to give the milk cold, at body temp, warmed up a little more than body temp. So DH ended up giving it 1 oz at a time. I will bump it up for more experienced pumpers.

5. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Krithika, Did Kiran use to drink 1 oz even for formula drink or just for pumped BM? Just trying to find out if other babies have been doing what Vinu is doing.

Also, where can I purchase coolers? Are they portable? I travel to office by 2 wheeler.

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poornima, Kiran was on formula only till his (expected) due date after preterm birth. Our paed had asked us to give 1 oz preemie formula for weight gain (not prescribing that, but just sharing that information). So he was on formula till 6 weeks, after which we bought the medela pump. I used to pump 3 oz bottles and leave it for my DH to feed at night. DH then needed to travel and I fell off the bottle wagon. When I started working on articles again at 4.5 months and needed to be away from Kiran, we found he wont take more than 1 oz. I am sure others have moreuseful things to say.

I meant something like an icebox-cooler. There should be mini ones that you can take in a scooter. BTW, I think you rock for your dedication to your LO!

7. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

Thanks!! I think all moms on IL rock for their dedication and the ease with which they share experiences/suggestions with everyone.

Vinu is getting better with the bottle. I got her a prosthetic teat, and that worked!! Also, I found a storage pack, similar to a bottle warmer and there's a small cooler of sorts at office, so kind of managing with these. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Cheers!!
    Poornima