1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help Me To Choose What To Throw Away And What To Buy - Clothing

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by anika987, Jun 23, 2024.

1. anika987

anika987 Finest Post Winner

Which should I declutter ?

1) Clothes years old but still fits well and in very good condition
    2) Clothes that have a unique style but I hardly wear it
    3) clothes stored as Memories
    4) Less quality and not great style,maybe little fruit but in good condition

Tomorrow am going shopping..what to buy and what not to?

1) clothes which fit me well and looks beautiful but my lifestyle may not support it but hard to let go..who knows ?maybe in future it might come to rescue?

2) Clothes that look good on me and fit well but makes me self conscious..sometimes you guys might have felt it..it suits you well but you don’t feel comfortable wearing it..would u still buy?

Also any more tips to declutter and buy the right stuff will be helpful

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Perfect place to apply the konmari method.

anika987 likes this.
  3. anika987

I don’t know if that’s what I did not I took all the clothes for family on one pile and discarded..

Six trash bags!! Wow..am not kidding

it took hours

and I felt so tough to let go the good ones but it’s been some years since I brought that and I felt dull wearing it..

I feel overwhelmed but some more today and I want my zen place

Thoughtful likes this.
  4. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

@anika987 I lost 6 dress sizes and did this exercise recently for my closet. My closet was bursting so much at the seams that finding a spider in one of my clothes (eeeeekss ..) was the last straw.

What worked for me was - I had the same problem as you plus my clothes were all loose. Fortunately I had some clothes from my pre marriage days and even one from my school days stored away. All those fit me perfectly now and I don't much care about being dressed in latest style. I purchased a few plain colored ribbed crew tops from Uniqlo (these are very thick ones unlike the ones found elsewhere). I wear them with a well fitted pair of jeans and boots to look out together. I also got a pair of denim overalls, a denim skirt and denim shorts that I wear in rotation with my Uniqlo tops.

As far as my non fitting clothes go, many clothes were brand new with tags from branded stores that I purchased over the holidays. I absolutely had no mind to just donate it or give it away. So now lies in my garage 5 boxes of large clothes and in my closet bare minimum number clothes that fit me well.

If I were in your place this is what I would do

1) Clothes years old but still fits well and in very good condition

If you have the space and feel you will enjoy wearing 1., then box them and keep.

2. Clothes that have a unique style but I hardly wear it

You should consider giving away if wearing it makes you conscious.

3. clothes stored as Memories

Definitely keep (I have kept my kids home from hospital clothes and dresses that my mom purchased and had made for my daughter. It would break my heart to see them go)

4. Less quality and not great style,maybe little fruit but in good condition

Donate

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

Thanks for the info and also kudos for losing six dress sizes! awesome!

gamma50g and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

When I left abroad last December, I had to give away 15 trash bags that were mostly in good conditions, and were expensive too. This also includes shoes and accessories such as hand bags etc.

The hectic packing and decluttering at the last moment made me realize how much money I had wasted during the past 3 years investing on clothes that I hardly used or not used at all. In fact, I am not a shopping freak, I shop calculatively, but I definitely don't know how to re-style, re-use and in fact use my clothes appropriately.
    I am someone who always think there is nothing to wear when all my wardrobes are full of clothes and accessories.

I would suggest you to buy only what you need, and then try to mix match or style the existing clothes and accessories as per your want. The want varies depending on our mood, place, style, age, physique etc... so, we should learn the art of re styling or re using whatever the existing cloths and accessories as per the occasion.

For example... I bought an elegant short sleeved frock in December, and it is only appropriate to wear to parties or church festivals as it is. Usually, I do the same, and how many times I can repeat the same cloth?
    So, after a couple of uses, I would give it away regardless of its price and the condition.

But this time, i decided to be wise, and started re-using and re-styling the frock as per the occasion.

I wore it with a jacket when I went on a girls trip in Jan. The heavy work in the chest area was partially covered under the jacket, so it looked perfect for that event.

I paired the frock with a plain skirt (wore it inside the skirt) for another event and it looked elegant.

I also paired it with a same color palazzo paint, and a shawl like a frock model kurti for a Tamil function locally.

Now, I am planning to drape a plain saree over this frock, as the heavy worked chest area resamples like a fully worked saree blouse, and the short, light bottom part of the frock can be hidden under the shapewear underskirt.

This is just an example. I am sure, after all these uses the frock can go to someone else without making me feel bad for it.

This can also be paired with a contrast colour lehenga bottom

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

I also have the habit of buying a lot and also I store them and will never throw or donate. I will think that one day my size will reduce and may be I can wear it again. But now I have become mindful about buying. I buy only if am going to wear it immediately. Also whatever can be worn at home I wear and discard it. Also I am trying to reduce weight so that I fit into those dresses one day.

anika987 likes this.
  8. anika987

Thank you

9. anika987

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2024