1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Help me plan for sreemantha(baby shower)

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunn, Jan 21, 2010.

1. sunn

sunn New IL'ite

HI,

I am planning to arrange for sreemantam (baby shower ) in march once my parents come here to us.

Can you please suggest what will the best for below
    1) Baby shower theme : like what sort of decoration, food etc can be planned
    2) Baby shower return gifts from india or to buy here … (not very expensive gifts as I need to give at least 35 + people)
    3) Please post some picture of baby shower decoration if possible.

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Sunn,

Are you looking for ideas for a traditional baby shower or the american version??

I had both of them and both were fun..

For the American version

1: DH bought a cake. And on the cake there was little baby in a pea pod. It's part of the decoration. DH ordered the cake from Sams Club..

2: Go to "Party City". You will get lots of baby theme stuff for decoration.
    We knew that ours is a baby boy so I bought these "It's a boy" cardboard wall hangings and hung on the living room walls...Also there were some hanging baby decorations at party city. Hung them in the living room...We bought lots of balloons and tied them in both living and family room..I also bought a "Baby Shower" wall decoration and hung it ...
    You will get lots of stuff at "Party city"

3: Even I had lots of people..Around 30(both men & women)...I arranged for baby shower games for women...I think I had 5 games and everyone had so mch fun...Google for baby shower games and you will find lots of websites...I bought small gifts to ladies who won the games...

4: DH arranged for some "Dart Board" games for Men...They all had fun in the garage..

5: For food we ordered it from outside- We had mirchi bajji,Naan, 2 curries, fried rice and gulab jamun..

6: Gifts/Goody bags: I asked my Mom to buy small silver gift items..Like Kumkum box, agarbatthi stand etc...She bought 50 of them and each costed around Rs.50-75.
    I bought small gift bags here in the U.S and put these silver gift items in them.

Traditional Baby Shower

For this we just invited 3 couples. Since all the decorations were on the wall, I did not do anything extra...My mom just put all the sweets, saree and bangles on a nicely decorated table...That's it..

I will try to post some pics..

1 person likes this.
  3. jasmineofnan

jasmineofnan New IL'ite

Hi
    Congrats on ur pregnancy , baby shower decorations. can be done according to the sex of the baby , if not seen go for neutral . well u can get decorations from party shop r dollar shop , and select return back gifts items from babyshower lane r , Either get some valuable items form india as return back r shop around here, & get small tumeric powder & kumkum packs & bags to put in the gift items from india also.
    Regarding food , order like tray rather by counting each person, for cake u can select the colour according to the sex of the baby.U can get flowers from downtown flower market r indian home friends , they might have indian jasmine r any local flower market shop around b4 so that u can plan a head.I had my best baby shower only with my friends , i hope u too have a blast in ur baby shower with ur parents .
    Regards
    Mahi

4. sunn

sunn New IL'ite

thanks Mahi..

can you please suggest some nice return gifts from here or india any thing is ok

5. sunn

sunn New IL'ite

Thanks Sudha,

Can you please tell me the size of the Silver items you gave as gifts ..

I think that will be a nice gift ..
    if you dont mind can you post a picture of it so that i will get an idea .. what to shop.

6. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

hi sunn,
    congartulations!

Baby shower themes can be as general as “Noah’s Ark,” “teddy bears,” or “storks.” Other themes can revolve around gift ideas to help the new parents stock their nursery:

Having a theme to your party helps gives guidance to how you decorate your party - and it's fun! Basically, you need something that is repitative and creates a feeling of continuity. Here are some baby shower ideas:
    Nursery Colors
    Use colors from the nursery for your Baby shower theme. This option gives the flexibility to use any type of napkins, tableware, decorations for your party. And You don't need to buy expensive decorations all in the same patterns.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nursery Theme:
    Similar to the nursery colors, but this one uses the actual theme of the nursery. "Noah's Ark" is an example. Ask the mom-to-be what she plans for her nursery decor and go from there. If her decor is lace and cream, then keep to that same look and feel for the party, decorating with that color and pattern.
    [/FONT]
    souce:Baby Shower

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  7. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

make the list and invite your friends on evite.
    i think its better to bring gifts from india. beacuse your parents are also coming and we have a huge selection of gifts in india. one of my neighbour had sreemantham and her parents brought small silver dias from india.
    food: you can make it at home or if you effort it you can order it from restaurant. but i think people like homemade food always. i think you can ask your close friends help for making some items.

food items: pulihora, rice, curries and sweet

i am giving you some links , hope it helps

POOJA LIST FOR SEEMANTHAM

Seemantham

karmas- Tamil - Slokas.com

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  8. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Sunn,

They are small items...I think you can go to any silver shop in India and tell the price range and they will show you lots of gift items...Sorry I don't have the pics with me..But it's mostly agarbati stand, kumkum box, small diya (everything in silver though)

10. swapnam

swapnam Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    congrates...

1)Select the theme based on gender of your baby.If baby girl decorate with pink and if baby boy with blue.

2)You can ask your parents to buy return gifts from india(we get nice gifts for less cost)you can buy small photo frames with baby pics or something which relates with baby.